JOB TITLE: Assistant Chief Officer, Warehousing
SALARY RANGE: $104,023 - $136,531
HAY POINTS: 805
SUPERVISOR: Assistant Deputy Chief Materials Management & Distribution, Warehousing
HOURS OF WORK: Various
In order to protect our employees and continue to provide safe and reliable service to our communities, as of November 14, 2021, we are requiring all new MTA hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their start date. MTA will consider exceptions for religious and medical reasons, where appropriate. “Fully vaccinated” means you must have both doses of a 2-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the second dose or have received 1 dose of a 1-dose vaccine and two weeks have elapsed since the dose. Proof of your vaccination status in the form of a CDC vaccine card must be submitted prior to your start date.
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
Under the direction of the Assistant Deputy Chief Materials Management & Distribution, this position is accountable for the capacity and staff planning, control, and direction of the Subway, Bus Base Support, MTA Bus, Metro North or Long Island Railroad Main and Satellite Storeroom operations, which provide material support to the maintenance shops, depots and yards located throughout the MTA service area. This position is responsible for a 24/7 operation which receipts, stores, and distributes materials at the storerooms. Responsibilities also include removal of obsolete and surplus materials throughout the storeroom network. A large focus is placed on management of key KPI’s and overall efficiencies of the operations.
- Plan, develop, manage, and direct all Main and Satellite Storeroom transactions, e.g., receipts, issues, sales, transfers, and adjustment activities. Balance inventory between Main Storerooms and Satellite Storerooms to ensure efficient part availability for maintenance. Manage customer-specific repair and maintenance programs.
- Maintain goals for Stock Keeping Performance, Fast Mover parts inventory, PACT, and Storeroom inventory book-tophysical dollar value average net discrepancy. Manage the computer interactions to ensure the accurate reflection of all receipts, storage transactions and issues and to ensure parts availability for out-of-service buses/cars.
- Using key KPI’s discover actionable insights and make data driven decisions to provide measurable efficiencies, increases in productivity and optimize inventory movement and storage.
- Maintain a safe and healthy work environment by establishing, following, and enforcing standards and procedures and complying with legal regulations.
- Plan and design storeroom renovations to maximize cubic space utilization and storage efficiencies. Identify material handling and storage system requirements, signage, labeling and operating requirements/enhancements of computerized inventory support systems. In conjunction with other operating departments, ensure inventory storage plans for Base Support, Small Main and Satellite storerooms are compatible with planned redistribution of fleets among the various depots and shops so that an appropriate parts inventory is maintained.
- Create a plan to ensure adequate coverage in all Satellite locations so that there is no disruption in service to the maintenance department and unplanned overtime is minimized. Ensure unexpected changes in labor availability does not disrupt the storeroom operations and optimize the use of absentee relief resources.
- Coordinate inter- and intra-departmental activities, establish overtime cost controls, set internal policies, ensure training and safety program goals are adhered to by all employees. Develop requirements for personnel, overtime, material handling equipment, and facilities planning and layout while ensuring productivity, quality and customer service goals are met.
- Provide leadership and development that enables skill and career growth for all employees. Implement change management strategies that maximize employee adoption and usage and minimize resistance. Provides on-going performance management guidance, including progressive discipline when necessary. Responsible for enhancing employee performance through establishing and communicating clear expectations and evaluating performance in a fair and professional manner.
- Keeps immediate supervisor informed and seeks advice and support as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Must have the ability to comprehend high-level business strategy objectives and effectively develop / execute ‘roadmaps’, milestones, detailed implementation plans and KPI’s.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all internal levels within a given organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-profile, high-pressure environment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with key internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Must have strong managerial skills to effectively direct a staff of professional and union employees in implementing the short- and long-term goals and direction for the area(s) of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to complete short- and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or comparable applications, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. Knowledge of visualization tools or comparable applications, such as PowerBI, Tableau, etc.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- S. Diploma; BA and/or advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 8 years related experience in warehouse operations, including at least 4 years in a leadership role for a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body preferred.
- Experience in Lean or comparable concepts in supply chain, operations
- Working knowledge of Warehousing Operations / Business and Supply Chain Systems.
- Experience working in a large organization with multiple bases of operation.
- Personnel development techniques, negotiating skills, labor management techniques, and experience with enforcing contractual agreements.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s collective bargaining procedures.
- Familiarity with public sector inventory procurement, bidding and contracting procedures.
- Knowledge of collective bargaining agreements, working with Unionized workforce.
As an employee of MTA Headquarters, you may be required to complete an annual financial disclosure statement with the State of New York, if your position earns more than $105,472 (this figure is subject to change) per year or if the position is designated as a policy maker.
- May need to work outside of normal work hours (i.e., evenings and weekends)
- Travel may be required to other MTA locations or other external sites
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified employees can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.