Title: Senior Manager - Vehicle Fleet Operations
Repost Date: 02/12/2024
Close Date: 02/26/2024
Hay Point Evaluation: 805
Salary Range: $109,826-$144,146
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Assistant Chief Engineer – Planning & Operations
This is a Non-Represented Position.
If you have previously applied to this position, there is no need to reapply. Your application may still be under consideration.
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
This position is responsible to provide leadership and management oversight for all Vehicle Fleet Operations. This includes the development of policies, procedures and the development, implementation, management, and maintenance of a comprehensive Highway Vehicle Fleet Plan. Oversight and leadership in DOT compliance/reporting, development and implementation of vehicle and equipment preventative maintenance programs, and management oversight of the fleet and section budget. The incumbent will be accountable to develop, foster, and maintain effective working relationships with LIRR end users, outside vendors and service providers. Additionally, the incumbent will report maintenance and budget status to senior management. Develop and mentor subordinate staff.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Direct Lead and provide recommendation directives on all areas of fleet management, vehicle selection, procurement, operations, maintenance, and disposal. Develop long and short-term vehicle replacement plans for Executive approval. Perform life cycle, cost, and trend analysis to provide justification for recommendations for vehicle maintenance and performance. Evaluate vehicle specifications and meet with end users to review requirements.
- Coordinate all budgetary aspects with OMB.
- Primary liaison with vendors providing motor vehicle service and repairs.
- Oversee the employee Driver License Monitoring program. Ensure regular drivers are monitored as per corporate policy and daily notifications are forwarded to Operating Departments as required. Conduct annual company Driver License audit.
- Oversee the company Motor Vehicle Accident data system by updating and maintaining accident file and providing data to Claims and Safety Departments. Monitor and administer the motor vehicle GPS system (AVLM) and other systems, utilizing information captured to provide management reports.
- Develop, implement, and maintain fleet policies and procedures, ensuring that policies are updated as well as recommending new practices for management of the fleet. Provide oversight of department coordinators and ensure departments compliance.
- Administer an automated Vehicle Pool System to track the location and use of vehicles as well as the maintenance schedules and additions/reductions to fleet. Initially encompassing passenger vehicles and secondarily, heavy duty equipment, while providing leadership and direction to staff on the day-to-day operations.
- Provide leadership and direction for the management of the annual GASCARD fuel program for all Operating departments’ usage. Review and approve monthly reports for usage, fuel procurement activities, etc.
- Act as LIRR liaison with Nassau/Suffolk County and NYC Department of Finance regarding motor vehicle violations and Permit department.
- Represent LIRR on related committees, i.e., the MTA Risk Management All-Agency Vehicle Safety Committee. Member of the LIRR Accident Review Committee, Driver Review Committee and the Safety Department Vehicle Safety Committee, all-agency alternate fuel Committee.
- Review and make recommendations on all elements of fleet management, vehicle selection, procurement, operations, maintenance, and disposal. Develop and maintain fleet policies and procedures, ensuring that policies are updated as well as recommending new practices for management of the fleet.
- Oversee the administration of related vehicle/fleet information such as maintaining NYSDMV motor vehicle registrations, titles, and company insurance. Administrator/ liaison for the LIRR EZ-Pass program.
- Oversee the maintenance of appropriate records, files, and archives related to fleet operations and performance. Oversee the preparation and distribution of reports on equipment performance.
- Routinely apprise, make presentations, and prepare reports to Senior Management about fleet performance and cost.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
- Select, develop, and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals. Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to company guidelines and procedures.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Management, or related field. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must possess a minimum of 8-10 years of recent, related, progressively responsible experience managing a large vehicle fleet operation including experience managing a staff and budget preferably in a transportation or manufacturing environment.
- Must have demonstrated knowledge and experience in developing and implementing an automated fleet pool operation.
- Must have experience writing specialized vehicle specifications.
- Must have proven experience with forecasting and financial and statistical analysis.
- Must have experience reviewing and creating business technical documentation.
- Must have knowledge of business principles, and the techniques of administration, organization and management of complex, integrated technology systems environments.
- Must possess effective written and verbal communications skills with ability to write reports, develop materials and make presentations.
- Must possess effective interpersonal, organizational, judgment, decision-making, analytical, team building and collaboration skills. Must possess ability to handle multiple tasks under tight deadlines; and the ability to interface with executive level management and give senior level presentations.
- Proficient computer skills including experience with fleet maintenance software, Word, Excel, Power Point, and web-based applications.
- Knowledge of motor vehicle repairs, parts, and labor. Strong working knowledge of all related local, State and Federal statutes, laws and regulations that govern drivers, fleet vehicle operations and HAZMAT transportation.
- Strong working knowledge of vehicle related OSHA and ANSI (American National Standards Institute) safety regulations applicable to cranes, aerial devices, and vehicle size and weight restrictions (or similar types of equipment).
- Class A CDL License.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.