Title: Senior Manager, Departmental Processes and Controls
Department: Maintenance of Equipment
Post Date: 2/12/2024
Close Date: 2/26/2024
Hay Point Evaluation: 805
Salary Range: $109,826 - $144,146
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Deputy Chief Mechanical Officer
This is a Non-Represented Position.
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
The position is responsible for the development and management of new and existing inter/intra-departmental processes and to drive improvements in efficiency where possible while ensuring compliance with procurement and other agency policies. This includes travel, vehicle management, furnishings, requisition workflow management, event planning, coordination of shipping and receiving for non-stores items, and structuring of internal audits to ensure ongoing compliance and act as lead on external business process audits of departmental practices.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Formulate departmental procedures and protocols to adopt directives of the Chief Mechanical Officer (CMO) and Deputy Chief Mechanical Officer (DCMO) and integrate them into existing practices.
- Manage exigent events as directed by the CMO / DCMO.
- Oversee and direct the management of all third-party contracts held by the department for services (example: waste removal, snow removal, office trailer leasing) and resolve issues as they arise. Also, develop and direct internal audit processes to verify departmental compliance with agency requirements for management and administration of service contracts.
- Develop and oversee management of all departmental procedures related to vehicles including seasonal leases, gas cards, parking control, travel and citations of company vehicles.
- Manage and direct coordination of shipping of material outside of the stores system (example: Importation of material related to laser rail cleaning, shipping material to vendors and other agencies and certified correspondence with FRA).
- Oversee administration and reconciliation of all department Procurement cards (credit cards) including emergency purchases in support of storms, derailments, service disruptions and other incidents including internal audits.
- Liaison with Legal and Labor relations on claims and requests for data, materials or providing technical guidance to ensure timely response from the department.
- Manage emergency accommodations including catering and hotels for employees during emergencies such as derailments and storms including reconciliation and verification and appropriate audit mechanisms.
- Maintain archive of lessons learned for any crisis to inform decisions in the future and facilitate meetings to guide policy creation.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals. Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Bachelor’s Degree. Demonstrated equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of the degree requirement, subject to approval.
- Must have 8 years progressively responsible, related administrative experience relating to procurement and service contracts.
- Detailed understanding of LIRR procurement rules related to service contracts.
- Ability to work and manage effectively as part of a management team in a multi-priority environment.
- Must have experience preparing for audits including data extraction, reporting and retention.
- Must have demonstrated experience with streamlining and automating systems and processes.
- Must be familiar with MTA policies related to agency credit card purchases.
- Must possess knowledge of project management procedures, processes and practices.
- Must possess strong leadership, managerial, technical, oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient PC skills and working knowledge of various software packages: i.e., Word, Excel, MS Access, etc.
- Must possess (with ability to demonstrate) effective communications, judgement, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Must possess a strong familiarity with procurement principles and policies.
- General knowledge of labor agreement.
- Additional or advanced degree.
- Detailed knowledge of LIRR MofE labor agreements.
- Detailed understanding of and experience with MofE policies, practices and budgeting cost-centers.
- Detailed understanding of roles and responsibilities of LIRR MofE management positions.
- Direct experience with software programs used within MofE (Kronos, People Soft, LIMS etc.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.