JOB TITLE: Assistant Manager, Timekeeping/Payroll
SALARY RANGE: $80,000 - $90,000
HAY POINTS: 393
DEPT/DIV: Financial Operations
SUPERVISOR: Deputy Director – Timekeeping/Payroll
LOCATION: 2 Broadway, 15th Floor and/or 333 W. 34th Street
HOURS OF WORK:9:00 am - 5:30 pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
DEADLINE: February 23, 2024
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
This position will provide first line management functions concerning the receipt, review, analysis, reporting and processing of time documents and electronic files from payroll sub-systems to calculate net wages. Process on-cycle and off-cycle payroll, including earnings and deduction adjustments, IOD entitlement payments, and check distribution for assigned employee groups on a weekly and or bi-weekly basis. This will require coordinating with the Operating Departments and MTA Business Service Center Central Payroll Unit to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of all timekeeping/payroll processes.
In addition, the Assistant Manager Payroll/Timekeeping will assist with scheduling of assignments, training and development of team members and with budget decisions impacting the unit. This position will provide back-up for the Payroll Manager as required.
- Assist the Payroll Manager with scheduling of assignments, training and development of team members and budget decisions impacting the unit.
- Manage the receipt, review, and processing of time documents and electronic files from payroll sub-systems in order to calculate net wages for the payroll process.
- Process the on-cycle and off-cycle payroll, including earnings and deduction adjustments, IOD entitlement payments for assigned agency or agencies employees.
- Perform various analyses and audits in areas such as personal expense, recoveries, run rate payments, attrition, back pay, comp time, time lost on the job injuries, overpayments, and other payroll related items.
- Assist in the calculation of retro-active wage and ither pay adjustments and resolve daily timekeeping/payroll issues as presented by various departments.
- Acquire and update knowledge of taxes and company policy changes that affect the payroll to include familiarity with Federal, State, City, and Railroad Retirement taxes relative to employee deductions and reporting.
- Liaison with Operating Departments and the Business Service Center to address and resolve payroll related issues.
- Investigate systems and procedures for the purpose of developing, recommending, and implementing new processes.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Must have knowledge of Kronos Timekeeping
- Must have knowledge of PS Timekeeping & Payroll Module
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact well with external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-profile, high-pressure environment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with key internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Must have strong managerial skills to effectively direct a staff of professional and technical employees in implementing the short- and long-term goals and direction for the area of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to complete short- and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or comparable applications, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business in Accounting and or Finance. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 3 years’ timekeeping experience.
- Familiarity with collective bargaining agreements and working with a unionized workforce.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.