INTERNAL JOB POSTING - ONLY OPEN TO CURRENT MEMBERS OF THE MTA POLICE DEPARTMENT
Job Title:Sergeant, Highway and Bridge Safety Unit
Dept/Div:MTA Police Department/Special Operations Division
Supervisor:Commanding Officer, Special Operations Division
The MTA Police Department is seeking applications from qualified Members currently in the rank of Sergeant who are interested in being considered for assignment in the Highway and Bridge Safety Unit.
Responsibilities of a Highway and Bridge Safety Unit Sergeant includes but is not limited to:
• Manage daily deployments and oversee the daily assignments and responsibilities of the Highway and Bridge Safety Unit.
• Supervise and coordinate vehicle and traffic law details; commercial vehicle enforcement details; and educational outreach initiatives to include crossing safety, alcohol impairment, safe driving habits and other events.
• Coordinate escorts for funeral processions, oversized equipment, and other events requiring the safe delivery of assets.
• Utilize statistics to enhance the efficient and expeditious flow of traffic for commuters utilizing the various transportation systems of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, including Metro-North Railroad, Long Island Railroad and MTA Bridges and Tunnels.
• Ensure members are scheduled to assist in State Initiatives to include, “Buckle Up New York” and Aggressive Driving Enforcement.
• Schedule and oversee training for new members of the Highway and Bridge Safety Unit.
• Conduct and formulate material for monthly in-service training.
• Oversee and coordinate joint operation details with MTAPD Patrol and other Special Operations Division Units.
• Oversee and coordinate joint operation details with partner law enforcement agencies to include DWI Enforcement details, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement details, and more.
Interested members must, at a minimum, possess the following qualifications/requirements to be considered for this position:
• Currently hold the rank of Sergeant within the MTA Police Department.
• Knowledge and proficiency with the departments’ Traffic and Criminal Software (TraCS).
• Knowledge and proficiency with the departments’ Motorola License Plate Reader Software.
• Knowledge and proficiency with NYS e-Justice Integrated Justice Portal.
• Ability to access & utilize databases from the state and other law enforcement agencies.
• Possess professional appearance and must conform to the uniform regulations of the Highway and Bridge Safety Unit.
• Possess the willingness to participate in all training assignments related to the mission of the Highway and Bridge Safety Unit
• Obtain Methods of Instruction Certification (MOI) within 1 year of assignment into Highway and Bridge Safety Unit.
• Be willing to commit to three (3) years of service with the Highway Unit.
A Highway and Bridge Safety Unit Sergeant must possess the ability to work with:
• Local/State/Federal law enforcement agencies.
• Local/State/Federal governmental agencies.
• MTA Police Management.
• MTA customers, employees, and stakeholders.
Selected candidate for the Highway and Bridge Safety Unit Sergeant will be required to attend the MTAPD Highway and Bridge Safety Unit Training Program which includes proficiencies on various job-related assignments including extensive training on the department’s police motorcycles.
Candidates should understand that they are not guaranteed an assignment with the Highway and Bridge Safety Unit, even if they meet each of the above qualifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members to apply.