Job ID: 3856
Business Unit: Long Island Rail Road
Location: Queens, NY, United States
Department: Engineer ET Design
Date Posted: Feb 21, 2024
Title: Engineer-ET Design
Post Date: 02/06/2024
Close Date: 02/20/2024
Hay Point Evaluation: 805
Salary Range: $109,826 - $144,146
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Principal Engineer – ET Design & ESA
This is a Non-Represented Position.
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
Responsible for overseeing the design of Electrical Systems including drawings, specifications, cost estimates and material requisitions design reviews for major infrastructure improvements and electrical inspections of construction activities. Oversee the maintenance and improvement of CAD and File Management Systems. Lead the efforts of the ET Design group to ensure prompt production of quality designs for use by vendors and LIRR field Forces Accountable to ensure the ET Design group delivers seamless electrical design services to capital funded projects and support power maintenance, to effectively manage document flow in/out of the ET Design group in a timely manner. This position oversees the Assistant Engineer ET Design and supports the Principal Engineer ET Design & ESA in managing the ET Design Group.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Principal Engineer with managing the ET Design Department as lead, monitor progress of work from inception through design completion. Provide analysis, impact and recommendations as necessary. Research & respond to questions regarding designs. Review each project to insure satisfactory completion and level of quality. Act as a liaison between LIRR Engineering Department and Department of Program Management, consultants, contractors, municipalities, and utility companies.
- Manage and coordinate Third Rail System Print Changes. Ensure all print change requests are reviewed for correctness and system integrity, implemented and distributed in a timely manner.
- Assist the Principal Engineer in strategic planning of the Department. Set goals and priorities. Determine and manage headcount. Ensure Department is equipped with all necessary tools, Standards and equipment for maximum productivity.
- Manage and coordinate all Departmental Process Flows and Procedures, including CE-1 changes. Coordinate and ensure all Departmental tasks and functions are carried out adhering to established procedures. Serve as Designee of the Principal Engineer to oversee the Department, in his absence, providing all necessary administrative functions of the department. Selection of staff and staff development. Prepare probationary reports for new employees. Handle any union issues and/or grievances.
- Provide guidance and direction to Assistant Engineer of ET Design in managing the review of designs submitted by Consulting Engineers or other Agencies and assign them to Design staff for review, calculations and comments, ensure the electrical systems of the Railroad are protected.
- Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Oversee and supervise the Assistant Engineer of ET Design. Provide guidance, direction and leadership to the Assistant Engineer. Set goals and priority as well as appraisal evaluation.
- Research and develop new technology in the field and recommend adoption of new technologies when appropriate.
- Provide guidance and direction to Assistant Engineer of ET and coordinate the review of new F/A electrical design projects and assign them to Design staff for estimates, drawings and a material list or specification.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
- Must possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Must possess recent progressively responsible engineering Operations and/or Design Managerial experience (approximately 10 years).
- Must possess experience with budget preparation and managing a professional and technical workforce.
- Must possess working knowledge of LIRR Collective Bargaining (Labor Unions) Agreements.
- Must possess prior working knowledge and experience in the coordination and implementation of ET Design Print Change process.
- Must possess current working knowledge and experience of LIRR Power Department Practices, Process Flows and Procedures.
- Must be able to represent the Department in both internal and external audits and meetings.
- Must possess prior design and/or engineering operations experience in LIRR Power Infrastructure as it relates to Substations, Electric Traction,
- Light & Power and High Tension.
- Must possess prior estimating experience with ability to review specs and perform design revisions.
- Must possess prior management and supervisory experience.
- Must possess the ability to ensure corporate/department safety policies are adhered to.
- Must possess knowledge of the electrical wayside facilities present on the LIRR or similar system, including applicable codes and regulations i.e.,
- NEC, NESC, LIRR CE-1, NFPA, IES, IEEE, FRA & OSHA.
- Must be able to supervise and manage a diverse technical workforce and ensure all departmental project goals and schedules are met.
- Must be able to demonstrate willingness and availability to meet the demands of the position, including working compensatory hours, if required.
- Muss possesses the ability to make sound decisions and exercise sound judgement particularly in a crisis situation.
- Must possess ability for problem solving, multi-tasking, analytical and decision-making and proficient PC skills.
- Professional Engineering License.
- Knowledge in operations of (CAD) design systems.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety-sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.