Job ID: 5731
Business Unit: Long Island Rail Road
Location: Queens, NY, United States
Department: Manpower & Payroll
Date Posted: Feb 21, 2024
Title: Manager-M of E Resource Administration
Post Date: 02/06/2024
Close Date: 02/20/2024
Hay Point Evaluation: 702
Salary Range: $99,782-$130,964
Position Classification: Non-Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Senior Manager – M of E Manpower Resource Management
This is a Non-Represented Position.
This position is responsible to manage all administrative and payroll and manpower services functions for management, supervisory and craft personnel within the M of E Department. This includes personnel assignments of craft personnel, sick leave, payroll processing, managing absence control policy, recruitment and training scheduling, restricted duty assignments, management of vacation tracking/scheduling and overtime coverage. This position will assist with developing the hiring plan for the department. This position will serve as the central point for the control of all administration activities and is responsible to implement and administer department policies and procedures consistent with operating objectives, company policy & procedure as well as applicable union collective bargaining agreements.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Manage the general administration services of the department in support of both department operations and company activities as related to policies/procedures, sick leave, disability management, attendance, job assignments, weekly payroll, safety, and mandated training.
- Manage the proper systems maintenance for the department's Payroll-Time and Attendance System, as well as the department's databases for Absence Control, Manpower, and Staffing.
- Manage and administer the Department's Absence Control Policy. Investigate/analyze and coordinate with General and Local Chairmen all grievances submitted to the department relative to the compensation, attendance, and assignment of craft personnel, and prepare appropriate responses for action taken.
- Monitor probationary reports for all newly hired craft personnel.
- Manage and administer the department's vacation pick policy covering all the craft employees. Implement procedures to prevent employees from taking unauthorized vacations. Develop and distribute reports regarding vacation schedules and usage to CMO staff.
- Manage the preparation of bulletins which result in the movement of craft advertisements and awards. Manage the process of all major abolishment/rearrangements (award and "bumping") of workforce consistent with changes in operation while complying with contractual requirements.
- Administer and manage crew board process to call overtime as required for TCU positions; provide overtime analysis to operational management to ensure vacancies are covered at minimal cost.
- Select, develop, and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates.
- Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals. Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field. Demonstrated, directly related experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must possess related, progressively responsible administrative experience (8-10 years) preferably in an operations environment.
- Must possess prior experience managing a staff.
- Must possess knowledge of company policies and procedures, organizational structure and experience administering such in a large union environment.
- Must possess the ability to effectively coordinate with all departments involved in the day-to-day operations as well as employees of all levels of the organization.
- Must possess effective, professional communication and interpersonal human relations skills with ability to effectively, consistently and concisely manage, interpret and disseminate information as well as initiate necessary action regarding the application of labor agreements and company policies and procedures.
- Must possess a working knowledge of related payroll systems, absence control procedures and related network operations, PC skills.
- Must possess the ability to manage and monitor many diverse administrative functions simultaneously.
- Must possess proven ability to implement and manage change. Ability to motivate others and influence decisions.
- Must possess the ability to select, lead and motivate employees; perceptiveness to identify problems/potential problems and effective problem-solving skills to recommend solutions.
- Must possess demonstrated, effective leadership, analytical, judgment, negotiating and problem-solving skills!
- Must possess a professional demeanor and a high degree of integrity.
- Knowledge of corporate structure, policies and procedures, applicable collective bargaining agreements is beneficial.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than 10 sick days in two of last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.