Rail Traffic Controller
Open Until Filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
RAIL TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS are in charge of the movement of trains and equipment on main and other tracks specified in the timetable, and issue instructions to employees connected with these movements.
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Safely and efficiently direct all train and equipment movement within a specified territory by remote activation of switches, signals, clearance forms and blocking devices
- Provide protection to employees working on the right of way by removing and restoring tracks to and from service Prepare and maintain accurate records related to train movements, track assignments and other events
- Monitor radio, telephone, computer screens and other equipment for train movements, track movement and other relevant information and issues in territories controlled
- Communicate relevant information to others clearly, effectively and according to protocol regarding train routing, track conditions and any other special circumstances
- Maintain familiarity with train schedules, destinations and departure and arrival times
- Coordinate track usage with the Maintenance of Way department
- Prepare information reporting on time performance and delays of areas controlled
- Manage unexpected and emergency events
Minimum of a High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED), or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
External Applicants must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience as a qualified Air Traffic Controller OR
- Minimum of one (1) year experience as a railroad employee in a position requiring comparable book of rules qualification OR
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a logistics manager or another position with directly related transferable skills working in a fast paced, high pressure environment OR
- Related education resulting in a transportation degree (e.g., Associate Degree or higher in Air Traffic Control, Train Dispatch, or related field)
Active Metro-North employees must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Minimum of one (1) year of work experience in an Operating division craft that that requires qualifying on the “Rules of the Operating Department (Book of Rules Qualification)” OR
- Minimum of three (3) years of railroad experience not requiring Book of Rules Qualification OR
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in your current position/craft (and has satisfied all formal training/lock-in requirements) combined with meeting any one of the External Applicant requirements
Knowledges, Skills, Abilities:
- Skilled in exercising independent judgment; ability to anticipate and analyze problems and take corrective actions; must be able to maintain attentiveness and evaluate a situation to make quick decisions under pressure; written and verbal communication skills; ability to multi-task; must be able to function effectively under changing priorities; reading comprehension ability; knowledge of operating and safety rules; knowledge of physical characteristics; must be safety conscious
- Regulated by hours-of-service rules; must become qualified in rules of Operating Department
Rate of Pay
The starting rate of 70% for this position is equivalent to $30.64/hour. The wage progression scale as a Trainee is as follows: Year 1=70%>Year 2=70%>Year 3=75%>Year 4=80%>Year 5=85%>Year 6=85%>Year 7=90%>Year 8=100%. The full 100% Trainee rate of pay is $43.77/hour.*
This salary is non-negotiable, based on the ACRE Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Note: Pursuant to Rule 18, Metro-North employees who promote into positions covered by the Rail Traffic Controller Agreement shall enter the wage progression at their current step-rate percentage.
Note: Upon successful verification, new employees hired by Metro-North into positions represented by ACRE RTC may be approved for service credit for prior U.S. railroad service as a Rail Traffic Controller.
*Upon qualifying into a Rail Traffic Controller position, the wage progression will follow rates stated in the ACRE RTC Collective Bargaining Agreement. The starting rate of 70% for a qualified Rail Traffic Controller is $37.02/hour. The wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=70%>Year 2=70%>Year 3=75%>Year 4=80%>Year 5=85%>Year 6=85%>Year 7=90%>Year 8=100%. The full 100% Rail Traffic Controller rate of pay is $52.89/hour.
MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection, and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans
Applicants will establish seniority in the Association of Commuter Rail Employees (ACRE), the union representing Rail Traffic Controllers, in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of ACRE are subject to an initiation fee and monthly union dues.
Must have the ability to work various hours, days and shifts in Grand Central Terminal.
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $105,472.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
- Training involves classroom instruction and on-the-job training (posting at a desk). Must become qualified on the “Rules of the Operating Department (Book of Rules Qualified) and pass other qualifying tests during the formal training program
Physical Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Excellent communication skills required
- Ability to read and comprehend written material
- Color vision required to read Track Layout and switch indicators
Working Conditions include but are not limited to the following:
- Works at console in office environment at a desk
- Ability to perform in a fast paced, highly visible environment where priorities are constantly changing
- Prolonged periods of sitting
HOW TO APPLY:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.