JOB TITLE: Senior Manager, Market Research
SALARY RANGE: $94,000 - $120,000
HAY POINTS: 588
DEPT/DIV: Strategic Initiatives
SUPERVISOR: Senior Director, Market Research
LOCATION: 2 Broadway New York, NY 10004
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
Under the direction of the Director of Market Research, the Senior Manager, Market Research, leads the Customers Count research program that entails collecting, analyzing, and presenting customer opinions and satisfaction levels on a wide range of policy initiatives, services, and products for all MTA agencies. This work is critical to help gauge the success of programs and projects and to ensure business decisions are customer-led. The senior manager manages the in-house design, testing, administration, analysis and reporting of customer research, and advises on external customer surveys and reports provided to the agency. The role oversees field staff and vendors as needed. In addition, the Senior Market Research presents granular findings to operating units to help guide recommendations for change and/or improvement. This role is critical to ensure the continuity of Customers Count, MTA's bi-annual satisfaction survey across all modes that is presented to the MTA Board.
- Identifying and developing the most appropriate solution to the market research needs of our internal clients. Determining if an in-house project is a more cost-effective approach. The incumbent must meet with clients to help them articulate their needs and objectives, identifying the most effective approach to fulfill customer requirements and then direct staff to follow-through on solutions.
- Maintaining and growing a respondent base to participate in recurring and new in-house market research projects. The incumbent will use software platforms to manage respondent lists. Identify opportunities for recruitment and work with marketing staff on campaigns to drive up response rates.
- Effectively managing field services staff in the accurate and efficient collection of data. The incumbent must develop precise and concise questionnaires. Schedule field staff for shifts. Monitor data collection for possible problems and errors. Use data to develop actionable recommendations.
- Conducting market research is an essential function of a public transportation agency. A n active market research program ensures that decision makers understand how customers experience the transit system and provides insight into customer priorities for improvement. Listening to and acting on customer opinions is central to the MTA becoming a more customer-oriented agency. Research has shown that agencies that are customer focused have more satisfied customers. A customer-oriented agency obtains information through activities geared toward developing an understanding of customer needs and preferences, sharing this understanding across departments and engaging in activities to meet those needs and preferences. This flow of information forms an important bridge between transit performance statistics and how our customers experience the system. By maintaining these capabilities in-house, the agency saves the agency millions of dollars each year.
- Has moderate level of authority for decision making, staffing and budget for their functional area of responsibility, subject to approval regarding the most significant Business and Policy issues by the Director of Market Research. Decision-making authority over their functional area of responsibility is somewhat defined with the freedom to determine how to accomplish work goals. Guided by substantially diversified procedures and specialized standards.
- Makes recommendations for policy and procedural changes with final approval from departmental management and supports implementation of such changes.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Experience conducting in-house Market Research projects, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Experience in in the selection of vendors to conduct market research.
- Experience running qualitative studies from start to fish, including discussion guide development, interview or focus group moderation and report creation.
- UX experience is a plus.
- Must have prior experience with online survey development and implementation.
- Must have extensive knowledge of NYCT Subway, Bus, Paratransit & SIR.
- Must have extensive knowledge of market research principles.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all internal levels within a given organization.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact well with external agencies.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-profile, high-pressure environment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with key internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to complete short- and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or comparable applications, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Extensive knowledge of the NYC Subway and Bus systems, including fare policy and structure.
- Prior experience working in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college with a major in marketing, transportation planning, transportation policy, civil engineering, business administration, statistics, demographics, geography, market research, urban studies, or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Must possess a minimum of seven years of professional experience managing market research projects for public agencies or private firms.
- A master’s degree is preferred.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.