Assistant Deputy Director – Performance Analysis and Reporting
420 Lexington Ave.
$98,205.00 - $128,893.80
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
To organize, plan and implement informational strategies for improving service delivery to our interior and exterior clients. Utilizing new technologies to keep Metro North at the forefront of information utilization for service improvements.
- Manage the daily activities of the Operations Planning and Performance Analysis Department.
- Handle special requests from various agencies and individuals for performance data.
- New Technology Development – Investigate, or design, when necessary, new technologies to be used in the advancement of data analysis and reporting.
- Department Information Liaison – Interface with VP Operations, Senior Directors, Directors and Superintendents to determine the informational needs of Metro North.
- Design systems of delivery for information to meet Metro North’s operational data needs.
- Represent Operations department on the ISBeRG committee to set international rail standards and benchmarking KPI’s
- On behalf of Metro North, provide government agencies and committees with information to coordinate and support their specific data needs.
- Spearhead audits of systems and information provided to internal and external clients.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to foster effective teamwork; motivate and develop staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to make decisions in a time sensitive work environment with competing demands while performing multiple tasks.
- Must possess the knowledge and abilities to operate within existing systems applications (IBM Mainframe and Microsoft Suite). Must have broad range of proven expertise using different PC software to improve existing applications. Proficiency with database programming languages including SQL & Visual Basic.
- Familiarity with bargaining agreements and the ability to understand the current TC/TCU union agreements.
- Ability to analyze, design and manipulate databases in SQL Server and MS Access on PC & network-based platforms.
- Aptitude to write detailed system specifications for use by end users to ensure development remains consistent with established MNR/IT Dept. software/hardware standards. Must possess the ability to develop complex applications in the above-mentioned software using a wide range of development tools.
- Working ability to provide statistical analysis interpretations using models and proven statistical methodologies.
- Self-motivated and highly organized with strong analytical, time management and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to interact with all levels of the organization.
The following is/are preferred:
- Understanding of current TC/TCU union agreements.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience education, and/or technical credentials to include four (4) additional years of related experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in transportation, computer science, business or related field with at least five (5) of those years developing, implementing, and managing databases and related information systems.
Minimum of five (5) years of formal Network & Client/Server experience with respect to systems, access devices, and programming languages with a proven ability to navigate between network applications and PC's.
Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing staff and/or programs.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.