POSTING NO.: 5477
JOB TITLE: Sheetmetal Worker - GCT
DEPT/DIV: Building Maintenance - GCT
LOCATION: Manhattan - Midtown
Full/Part Time: Full
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
SHEETMETAL WORKERS Install, maintain and repair ductwork, roofing, windows and metal doors in Grand Central Terminal (GCT).
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Fabricate drip pans, fittings, gutters, etc. from sheet metal using tools such as shear machine, brakes, clips, etc.
- Fabricate sheet metal fittings and ductwork from drawings for installation and repair in Metro North facilities
- Install and repair duct work and metal fittings
- Fasten seams or joints together with welds, bolts, cement, rivets, solder, caulks, metal drive clips, or bonds
- Install and repair roofing such as: shingles, roll roofing, tile, roof cement, and aluminum roofs
- Install torch down material on roofs by heating through use of a propane torch
- Maintain heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems by installing and replacing HVAC filters as well as power washing and cleaning HVAC coils
- Install and repair windows and metal doors, including: window gaskets, mullions, door gaskets, door hinges and door closers
- Lift, carry and transport tools, fabricated materials, etc. to and from work site
- Attend required trainings associated with performing Sheet Metal Worker responsibilities (i.e., Roadway Worker, waste, etc.)
- Read and interpret blueprints and construction drawings
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have High School Diploma or equivalent or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), AND,
- Vocational or apprentice training as a Sheet Metal Worker or Roofer, OR
- Two (2) years of related work experience
- Experience in layout of various HVAC ductwork from a set of drawings
- Valid driver's license
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Mechanical knowledge: knowledge of, and ability to use Sheet Metal tools; ability to read ruler measurements; basic arithmetic skills; verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills; ability to follow instructions; ability to work in teams; general safety practice knowledge; knowledge of operating and safety rules and standards; must be safety conscious
- Must have personal tool box with Sheet Metal tools
- Internal candidates are required to become qualified for the position within 15 days of bidding the position
Rate of Pay
The starting rate for this position is $27.15 (70% of the full rate). The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=70% > Year 2=70% > Year 3=75% > Year 4=80% > Year 5=85% > Year 6=85% > Year 7=90% > Year 8=100%. The full 100% rate of pay is $38.78.
This rate has been established by the SMW collective bargaining unit and is non-negotiable.
An exception may be granted for a journeyman rate to anyone who has one of the following:
- Completed a four-year, bona fide sheet metal workers’, plumbers’ or pipefitters’ apprenticeship program, OR
- Has had four (4) years of full-time practical experience in the craft and can provide proof thereof (by means of a card or certificate).
For those approved for a journeyman rate, the wage progression scale is as follows: 80>80>90>90>100% of the full rate of pay.
MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans
Applicants will establish seniority in the Sheet Metal Workers International Association (SMW) in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of the SMW are subject to an initiation fee and monthly union dues.
Must have the ability to work various hours, days, and shifts in Grand Central Terminal.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
DETAILS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Must be able to lift and carry tools and materials weighing up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis and occasionally up to 75 lbs. (e.g., ductwork, roll of torch down, etc.)
- Must be able to kneel, bend, crouch, crawl and reach to access difficult to access work locations
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces while navigating tracks and yard in order to access facilities or work site
- Ability to climb onto ladders, scaffolding, lifts to inspect, install and repair roofs
DETAILS OF WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Must be able to work various days and shifts
- Work outside exposed to various weather conditions from extreme hot to extreme cold
- Work at heights up to 50 ft. on scaffolds and ladders to perform shop maintenance
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.