Senior Engineer- Power testing
420 Lexington Ave
$89,892.00 - $117,983.25
Open Until Filled
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Provide technical support and testing services for the purpose of troubleshooting and/or monitoring of system parameters as related to traction power systems. Maintain existing and introduce new computer database programs to handle maintenance record keeping.
Direct field personnel in providing field testing/monitoring services as follows:
- Monitor power systems for load flow analysis using multi-channel data recorders.
- Provide technical support to field forces on cutover, testing and troubleshooting of various relay protection and control systems.
- Monitor power quality to identify presence of harmonic content in traction power systems using power quality meters or spectrum analyzers.
- Troubleshoot faulted circuits or failed systems using various test instruments.
- Provide design, direction review and diagnostics input to all substation related relay coordination projects.
- Direct and manage various simulations and studies performed by third parties pertaining to protective relay coordination and power system reliability.
- Include software changes to microprocessor bases systems currently used within the department (protective relays, PLC’s, SCADA & metering).
- Coordinate with the Senior Engineer - Protection and Controls with the analyzing of recorded test data and provide input for system configuration and/or settings.
- Coordinate with the Senior Engineer - Protection and Controls with SCADA system testing and troubleshooting and field replace system hardware/software as necessary.
- Coordinate with and/or support the Operating Managers where necessary in the identification of failed power components or systems.
- Maintain/update existing computer database programs and write new database programs in support of the department’s maintenance programs.
- Analyze data and records as necessary.
- Research, evaluate and keep abreast of the latest advancements in test instruments and introduce them to the department as recommended.
- Strong ability to comprehend control schematics and system single line diagrams.
- Competent understanding of basic electrical codes, standards, and utility practices
- Must possess strong working knowledge and understanding of AC and DC traction power systems, AC and DC traction distribution systems, and their related sub-systems.
- Competent understanding of electrical codes and standards, OSHA standards, and utility practices
- Strong computer skills with proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (and/or comparable applications) and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Strong verbal & written communication skills with the ability to speak effectively in a group setting.
- Ability to manage multi-faceted projects and adhere to deadlines.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to provide engineering design solutions to complex problems.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex technical issues.
- Ability to be self-motivated and to work well with a diverse management/agreement employee workforce.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available 24/7
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Technology.
Minimum five (5) years of experience in traction power or utility related position.
Minimum three (3) years of experience in field testing and troubleshooting, preferably related to traction power in a substation environment.
Minimum of three (3) years of experience managing staff and/or projects.
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.