Senior Electrical Engineer
M of E
Open until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Provide Electrical Engineering services to improve and ensure reliability and safety of electrical and mechanical systems on all Metro North Railroad rolling stock and/or facilities assets
- Provide engineering management and direction to the Equipment Engineering group. Supervise, direct and mentor assigned staff engineers and personnel. Oversee / Provide technical direction on Electrical and Electro-Mechanical Engineering and support for the maintenance, repair, overhaul and modification of all systems in all existing Electric Multiple Unit (EMU), Coach and Locomotive fleets operated by MNR, and MofE facilities assets.
- Develop and establish maintenance instructions, standards and regulations for repair and modification, maintenance alerts and bulletins, material and equipment procurement and overhaul specifications as required to improve and ensure reliability and safety of all Metro-North Railroad rolling stock.
- Oversee / Perform new vendor product and component evaluations with MNR Procurement and Material Management and Quality Control Departments. Perform component failure analysis. Devise methods for immediate and long term corrective action.
- Provide Electrical Engineering and maintenance requirement expertise to MNR Capital Programs Department for existing fleet overhaul, new car design or locomotive procurement. Provide Electrical Engineering interface with other departments and regulatory agencies.
- Provide engineering support for facilities maintenance and all mechanical systems in MofE facilities, supporting maintenance of equipment and the rolling stocketion.
- Strong knowledge of Electro-Multiple Unit (EMU), Coach and Locomotive mechanical and electro-mechanical systems. Possess substantial experience in Propulsion, Auxiliary Power, Event Recorder, Communication, Doors, Lighting and Power Collections systems dynamics and component design.
- Thorough knowledge of Cab Signal/ATC and ACSES system operation including interface with wayside signals and vehicle operational interfaces. Strong technical, analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to lead production and review of Technical & Instructional documentation and correspondence.
- Working knowledge of micro-processor control diagnostic systems and car borne software as used on rail vehicles
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with all levels in MN, MTA agencies, federal agencies and outside sourcesFamiliarity with FRA regulations, APTA standards as well as other industry related engineering standards.
- Strong knowledge of electrical maintenance practices.
- Strong written and oral communication skillsStrong technical writing skills for development of correspondence, Reports, Procedures and Technical Instructions.
- Knowledge of standard safety practices rules and regulations in a railroad environment Knowledge in the review and development of drawings, specifications and technical reports.
- Familiarity with ISO 9000 and Quality Assurance standards and practices.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or comparable applications.
- Strong knowledge of CAD/CAE software application
- Valid Driver's license
- Ability to respond to emergency calls on a 24 hour/7 day a week basis
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Minimum five (5) years of supervisory experience managing technical professionals and/or a diverse unionized workforce.
- Minimum seven (7) years of experience in an engineering environment and/or equipment manufacturer working on passenger railcars and/or locomotives or related mass transportation equipment.
This is a safety sensitive position and subject to toxicology testing.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $108,638.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in their current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.