Job ID: 5191
Business Unit: Long Island Rail Road
Location: Queens, NY, United States
Department: Training&Corporate Development
Date Posted: Jan 18, 2024
Title: Training Specialist-Maintenance of Equipment Department: Employee Training & Corporate Development
Repost Date: 12/13/2023
Close Date: Until Filled
Hay Point Evaluation: N/A
100% Hourly Rate of Pay: $54.852 (See Wage Progression Chart)
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Manager M of E Training
Union Affiliation: TCU- Exception 5
If you applied to PS104229 your application is still under consideration, please do not reapply to this opening.
This position is responsible for researching, developing, and conducting performance based training and development programs consistent with the needs of the Employee Training and Corporate Development Department and in support of the Long Island Rail Road business requirements.
- Temporary assignment with an anticipated duration of 18 months
- Assist in developing and updating lesson plans, exams, and creating audiovisual and technology based training utilizing standard methodologies.
- Conduct training programs including Train the Trainer.
- Work with management and end user departments to ensure the accuracy of training program content and material.
- Provide feedback to end user department as required. Provide technical guidance, upon request, for students and end user departments.
- All related administrative activities and required record keeping.
- All other related assignments at the request of management in department.
- A four-year High School Diploma or its educational equivalent (GED or TASC) approved by a State's Department of Education or recognized accredited organization.
- Comprehensive knowledge of mechanical rail car sub-systems including Air brake and HVAC.
- Must be a certified QMP (Quality Maintenance Person)-qualified to perform all safety-related inspections, tests and maintenance of all passenger equipment required by CFR-238.109.
- Must have current/prior job responsibilities that included maintenance and troubleshooting of rolling stock equipment and proficiency in mechanical repairs within the MofE department.
- Ability to read and interpret mechanical and pneumatic blueprints.
- Working Knowledge of FRA and Safety rules pertaining to the rail car equipment.
- Ability to achieve and maintain expected level of performance/proficiency as determined by the Management of the Training Department.
- Ability to demonstrate effective oral, written communication, and interpersonal skills as well as effective platform presentation skills.
- Ability to demonstrate good safety practices, character and attendance.
- Proficient computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Prior training experience and knowledge of instructional theories and training methods; personal computer software and hardware.
- Prior supervisory experience.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety-sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.