JOB TITLE: Senior Director of Workforce Planning, Forecasting & Position Control
SALARY RANGE: $150,000 - $165,000
HAY POINTS: 1096
DEPT/DIV: People Department | HR Data Science
SUPERVISOR: Deputy Chief, HR Operations & Analytics
LOCATION: 2 Broadway
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
The Senior Director of Workforce Planning, Forecasting & Position Control is a pivotal leadership role within the HR Operations and Analytics division, steering the strategic direction for comprehensive agency-wide capacity planning and rigorous workforce management for the MTA. This individual is responsible to forecasts both long-term and short-term staffing needs based on intricate data analysis and market trends but also ensures alignment with the MTA's overarching business goals and objectives. Serving as the Deputy Chief of HR Operations and Analytics’ liaison to the organizational leaders, this role delves deep into operational analytics, strategic problem solving, meticulous resource scheduling, robust position control management, and the critical areas of data governance and data quality oversight. Furthermore, they play an essential role in budget management, ensuring that workforce planning and initiatives align with the agency's financial framework. This multifaceted approach ensures that the MTA remains agile, data-driven, and responsive to evolving workforce demands.
Leading with vision and expertise, the incumbent will oversee a dedicated team, nurturing their professional growth while collaboratively developing and refining sophisticated staffing models. These models, backed by high-quality data, are instrumental in optimizing the workforce, ensuring that the MTA consistently achieves operational excellence and meets the multifaceted demands of its operations. A central facet of this role is the establishment and maintenance of a position control system, tracking and managing all approved and filled positions, and ensuring hiring decisions are in alignment with budgetary constraints and organizational strategies. Additionally, the Senior Director will champion a culture of data excellence, establishing robust data governance frameworks and ensuring the highest standards of data quality across all workforce planning activities. Their expertise in budget management will be crucial in aligning workforce strategies with fiscal responsibilities, ensuring optimal allocation of resources and financial sustainability.
Strategic Workforce Planning:
- Collaborate with senior leadership to determine long-term staffing needs.
- Align workforce strategies with business goals and objectives.
- Assess and forecast both short-term and long-term staffing requirements based on company growth, market trends, and industry changes.
Data Analysis and Forecasting
- Utilize advanced analytics and statistical tools to predict hiring needs.
- Analyze turnover rates, employee attrition, and retention strategies to enhance workforce stability.
- Generate reports and insights on workforce demographics, skill gaps, and future workforce requirements.
Position Control Management
- Establish and maintain a position control system to track and manage all approved and filled positions.
- Ensure that all hiring decisions align with budgetary constraints and organizational goals.
Data Governance and Data Quality:
- Establish and oversee data governance policies and procedures to ensure data integrity and consistency across all workforce planning activities.
- Implement measures to ensure the highest standards of data quality, including routine data audits, validation processes, and data cleaning initiatives.
- Oversee the financial aspects of workforce planning, ensuring initiatives and strategies align with the organization's budget.
- Collaborate with the finance department to forecast, allocate, and monitor workforce planning budgets, ensuring cost-effective use of resources.
- Work with talent acquisition to ensure a consistent pipeline of talent for anticipated roles.
- Collaborate with the learning and development team to identify necessary training and upskilling opportunities.
- Partner with department heads and hiring managers to understand their workforce needs.
- Engage with finance teams to ensure alignment between workforce planning and budgetary considerations.
- Lead organizational change initiatives related to workforce planning and restructuring.
- Develop and communicate change management strategies to ensure smooth transitions during organizational shifts.
- Stay updated with the latest trends and best practices in workforce planning.
- Continuously refine and optimize workforce planning processes and methodologies.
- Mentor and develop the workforce planning team, fostering a culture of collaboration and excellence.
- Manage performance, set team goals, and ensure the achievement of key deliverables.
Compliance and Governance:
- Ensure all workforce planning activities adhere to local, state, and federal employment laws.
- Establish and maintain a robust governance framework for all workforce planning activities, including data governance and quality control.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Must have demonstrated knowledge and ability to leverage data to drive decisions and strategically influence business strategies.
- Ability to develop recommendations based on solid analytics that address the root cause and explain impacts to business performance. Detail-oriented with commitment to operational excellence and quality.
- Ability to manage complex business or systems analysis projects.
- Ability to perform statistical analyses, identify trends, and develop creative solutions.
- Excellent communication, organizational, and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all internal levels within a given organization, including the MTA Board.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate and interact well with external agencies. External agencies may include the Governor’s Office for New York State, New York City government, elected and other public officials, as well as any staff located at other federal or state agencies or authorities.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-profile, high-pressure environment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with key internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Must have strong managerial skills to effectively direct a staff of professional and technical employees in implementing the short- and long-term goals and direction for the area of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to complete short- and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or comparable applications, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, Human Resources, Finance, or a related field from an accredited college or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 12 years related experience, including at least 4 years in a department head and/or managerial role leading workforce management modeling with long and short-term forecasting within a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body preferred.
· Master’s degree in a related field
· Attainment of or in the process of attaining SPHR or SHRM certification in HR Management
· 5 Years’ Experience modifying and developing SQL code.
· Familiarity with the MTA’s policies and procedures
· Familiarity with the MTA’s collective bargaining procedures
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.