Inspection Assistant Manager
$70,035.00 – 91,920.68
February 26th, 2024
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service, and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position will assist in performing routine and emergency field inspections of GCT trainshed asset items on Metro-North’s territories. The position will also assist with the responsibility for the proper documentation of the inspection results, per FRA mandates, New York State bridge inspection requirements, and laws ensuring Metro-North’s bridges and tunnels are safe for the daily passage of trains and the general public.
- Assist in performing annual field inspections as per Metro-North’s inspection program for structures in the GCT trainshed and territory south of MO Yard and other locations as needed based on annual program needs.
- Assist the Inspection Manager in preparing the annual FRA inspection reports.
- Assist in inspecting conditions flagged by NYSDOT or MNR, as well as fracture critical elements and fatigue prone elements.
- Assist in performing emergency inspections of the trainshed ceiling, structure, and utilities.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite or comparable applications.
- Ability to work well in a team environment
- Ability to work at heights that may exceed 100 feet.
- Ability to use fall arrest and access equipment
- Ability to perform inspections during the evening when needed.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to be on call 24 hours/ 7 days for emergencies.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor of Science or Associate Degree in Engineering/Civil Engineering or related field.
- Attend within one year from placement in position, Railroad Bridge Inspection and Scour Inspection Class as per
- MNR Bridge Inspection Manual.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience inspecting bridges/tunnels or related experience.
The following is preferred but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
- Railroad Bridge Inspection requirements and procedures.
- Experience with railway maintenance and operation.
- Working knowledge of MTA MNR Operating Rules and Regulations.
- Experience performing welding inspections.
- Experience with inspection of other structure types such as retaining walls, drainage structures, buildings, and utility towers.
- Experience in traffic control at job sites.
- Completion of NHI Bridge Inspection Seminar or similar bridge inspection courses.
This is a safety sensitive position, subjected to random toxicological testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in their current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.