Reliability, Availability and Maintainability (RAM) Engineer
$79,548.00 – 104,406.75
Open Until Filled
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service, and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
The purpose of this position is to use the Asset Management System, failure reporting and corrective analysis system (FRACAS) to collect field data on equipment preventive and corrective maintenance in the field, analyze data using reliability tools and software, identify dominant failure modes, and conduct analysis and research to initiate possible corrective actions utilizing failure trend analysis.
- Identify components that contribute the most to downtime and allow the determination of the effect of process or design alternatives on system performance.
- Manage and monitor M of E data systems as they relate to RAM reporting and analysis functions.
- Maintain and report M of E fleet, performance, and program status reports for departmental reporting both internally and externally. Provide ad-hoc reporting and analysis to the Chief Mechanical Officer and his staff.
- Provide and coordinate analysis of fleet data to identify trends in equipment and organizational performance that adversely affect efficiency, quality, plant capacity, and production throughput to provide support for fleet owners and performance improvement teams (PIT).
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely across all levels of organization.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of heavy industry maintenance practices and strong technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient in utilizing software applications like Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Access), Power BI, Crystal Reports, or similar reporting tools.
- Proficiency in writing and implementing systems and specifications utilized in asset management and reliability analysis.
- Proficient in working with relational databases and SQL queries.
- Ability to perform statistical modeling, qualitative and quantitative data analysis, and reporting.
- Ability to manage people and business processes across the organization.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to respond to emergency calls on a 24-hour/7 day-a-week basis.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering Field – Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial, Computer or related.
- Five (5) years of experience in engineering, preferably in railroad/transit industry asset maintenance.
- Three to five (3-5) years of experience in data management and data reporting.
The following is preferred but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
- Working knowledge of the IMS, TIMS, AMS, M7- WMDS, WILD and Citrix Based applications currently in use at MNR.
- Working knowledge of Transportation industry operations and familiarity with Code of Federal Regulations.
- Familiarity with reliability tools (Weibul++ and RCM) & statistical software (Minitab).
- Experience analyzing and reporting on Asset Management and fleet performance data.
- Practical application experience utilizing MTBF, MDBF, FTA, and Root Cause analysis used to develop corrective actions and reliability improvement.
- Experience with Process Improvement tools (Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma, etc.).
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in their current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.