Assistant Deputy Director Passenger CDMI Compliance
$98,205.00 – 128,893.80
Open Until Filled
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service, and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
This position is responsible for directing, managing, and ensuring departmental compliance to all FRA and MNR required Calendar Day Mechanical Inspections of Passenger Trains. This position is responsible for all Mechanical Operations required to support the initial dispatch of all passenger trains safely, reliably, and in a timely manner.
- Direct and ensure compliance of Yard Forces to FRA and MNR training requirements to support a safe and effective Calendar Day Mechanical Inspection Process to include but not limited to observation of work performed during Sunday – Thursday hours 11:00 PM to 8:00 AM.
- Directs the coordination between MofE, Operations Services, and Fleet Management to ensure the required availability of scheduled trains for AM Service.
- Manages correction of In-Service Defects to comply with FRA and MNR Requirements.
- Identify and provide instructional support to all Yard locations regarding inspections, train set-up, troubleshooting, and dispatching operations.
- Strong working knowledge of FRA 49CFR 229 and 238 regulations.
- Working knowledge of both electrical and mechanical maintenance practices.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision in a challenging operational environment.
- Ability to perform FRA Efficiency Tests and MNR Safety Audits and Observations.
- Knowledge of standard safety practices, rules, and regulations.
- Project management skills with adherence to deadlines.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to foster teamwork.
- Demonstrated management and coordination skills to plan, direct, control, and implement policies and procedures/compliance.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and/or comparable applications.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to respond to emergency calls on a 24-hour/7 day-a-week basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering/Technology or Mechanical Engineering or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience, education, and/or technical credentials may be considered in place of a degree to equal an additional 4 years of experience.
- 7 years of progressive experience in a passenger railroad operating environment, including exposure to EMUs, locomotive, coach and yard operations, and train dispatching experience.
- 5 years of supervisory/management experience in a transportation or maintenance operations environment.
The following is preferred but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
- Experience in managing rolling stock or fleet preventative maintenance programs.
- Knowledge of MNR Operating Rules and MN-401.
This is a Safety Sensitive position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in their current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.