Senior Engineer – Protection and Control
$94,906.00 – 124,564.13
Open until filled
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service, and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Manage Metro North Power Department’s protective relays/setting and SCADA system including in-house maintenance/projects, capital and non-capital improvement projects as related to H&H and NHL substations and related equipment.
- Manage and plan SCADA activities for in-house maintenance/projects, and capital/non-capital construction projects as related to H&H and NHL substations and related equipment.
- Manage and plan protective relay maintenance/upgrades and track all protective relay settings.
- Perform technical reviews on all protective relay submittals, short circuit studies, relay coordination studies, arc flash analysis studies, load studies, and grounding studies pertaining to capital projects.
- Coordinate with other Senior Engineer in Power Design to ensure all department standards are adhered to.
- Direct & manage various simulations & studies performed by third parties pertaining to protective relay coordination power system reliability.
- Ensure all SCADA and protective relay construction activities adhere to approved design plans and safety protocols.
- Engineering design shall include software changes to microprocessor-based systems currently used within the department (protective relays, PLC's, SCADA & metering).
- Research, evaluate, and introduce innovations in protective relay methods and SCADA equipment as related to the Metro North Power Department.
- Develop and implement standards for supervisory control (SCADA) system interface to various power substations.
- Competent understanding of basic electrical codes, OSHA standards, and utility practices.
- Strong background in AC and DC traction power systems.
- Strong computer skills with proficient knowledge of MS Office suite and/or comparable applications.
- Strong verbal & written communication skills with the ability to speak effectively in a group setting.
- Ability to manage multi-faceted projects and adhere to deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex technical issues.
- Familiarity with Critical Path Method (CPM) scheduling, and/or comparable systems.
- Possess project management skills to develop project scope, progress schedules, and budget estimates.
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to work well with a diverse management/agreement employee workforce.
- Ability to work well with others in a collaborative environment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available 24/7.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Engineering Technology.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience with protective relays and SCADA systems.
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience managing projects.
The following is preferred but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
This is a Safety Sensitive position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in their current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
How To Apply:
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.