System Road Foreman
Open until Filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Implement federally mandated Locomotive Engineer Qualification and Certification Programs to ensure Metro-North Engineers are compliant with regulations and rules; perform to established level of proficiency; and are tested (written/performance) regularly to validate understanding of safety critical roles. Monitor and record engineer performance through site observations; make recommendations and implement changes to ensure proficiency in training and monitoring new employees.
- Perform Operational Performance Monitoring per 49 CFR Part 240.129 and Unannounced Operational Performance Testing 240.303 on Metro-North Railroad territory and tenant locomotive engineer.
- Perform operational testing in accordance with OTP per 49 CFR 217
- Perform train handling testing for territorial qualification and performance of federally mandated Operating Skill 240.127. Support testing new or retrofit equipment. Ensure compliance with deferral safety requirements for eligibility, testing and certification.
- Coordinate interdepartmental investigation and analysis of unusual occurrences.
- Identify deficiencies and provide reinstruction as needed.
- Support Daily Operations
In-depth knowledge of Operating Rules and physical characteristics and Federal Regulations regarding train operations.
- Familiarity with knowledge of 49 CFR Part 240-Qualification and certification of Locomotive Engineers.
- In-depth knowledge of equipment and on-train safety and control systems.
- Familiar with the Codes of Federal Regulation and the state and local laws that govern the operation of trains.
- Strong writing, verbal and presentational communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to organize and direct the activities of others.
- Strong planning, time management and organization skills.
- Working knowledge of derailment analysis for unusual train incidents and accident to determine causal factors. (or ability to become proficient within three months of hire).
- Working knowledge of skill performance, radar and other techniques of field and wayside testing (or ability to become proficient within three months of hire).
- Knowledge of Event recorder, ACSES download and analysis (or ability to acquire within six (6) months of hire).
- Must possess quantitative and analytical skills to effectively determine and resolve service delivery problems.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to effectively communicate with all levels in the Organization and outside agencies.
- Equipment troubleshooting and operating experience providing the ability to affect on-train repairs, isolating the defect or applying alternate operations solutions.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office suite and/or comparable PC applications.
- Must be available 24 hours 7 days a week as required.
- Ability to coordinate testing of equipment and systems with multiple departments and vendors.
- Familiarity with freight train and/or intercity train service (AMTRAK) operating experience
- Familiarity with the design of diesel hauled and electric multiple unit equipment including on-train safety and control systems.
Required Education and Experience
- Associates degree in Transportation, Business, Public Administration or related field. Demonstrated equivalent education, experience and/or technical credentials to include an additional two (2) years of related experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Qualified and Certified as a Locomotive Engineer with 7 years’ experience.
- Must be qualified on Operating rules, physical characteristics, and Metro-North Equipment Operating & Air Brake Instructions within 2 months from date of hire. If not a Supervisor of Locomotive Engineer (SLE), must also become one within 2 months from date of hire.
- Valid Driver’s License
The following is/are preferred
- Prefer experience as Supervisor of Locomotive Engineer (SLE) at MNR and/or another Railroad,
- Bachelor’s Degree in Transportation, Business, Public Administration or other related fields. Demonstrated education, experience and/or technical credentials may be considered in lieu of degree.
This is a safety sensitive position and subject to toxicology testing.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $105,472.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.