JOB TITLE: Deputy Director, Occupancy Management
SALARY RANGE: $130,000 - $140,000
HAY POINTS: 864
DEPT/DIV: Real Estate
SUPERVISOR: Director of Operations, Real Estate
LOCATION: 2 Broadway
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00am – 5:30pm (7 ½ hours)
DEADLINE: February 19, 2024
The Deputy Director, Occupancy Management for MTA Real Estate, plays a strategic role in managing a vast real estate office portfolio of up to approximately 4 million square feet. Overseeing and managing a third-party vendor specializing in occupancy management, the Deputy Director orchestrates efficient occupancy planning, effective tenant-relationship management, and strategic space utilization.
With responsibilities extending to formulating and implementing strategies to optimize the use of the portfolio, this role ensures that space allocation aligns seamlessly with MTA's broader organizational objectives and contributes to keeping the MTA’s office occupancy costs low. This high-level position demands deep expertise in real estate management, strong leadership skills, and the ability to collaborate effectively with external partners. The Deputy Director, Occupancy Management, thus, plays a pivotal part in the successful optimization and management of MTA's real estate assets.
· Establishes governance rules and standards for tracking space and personnel within the portfolio. This ensures a consistent, fair, and efficient use of space, thus creating a cohesive and accountable system for managing MTA's extensive real estate assets. Establish a Space Allocation Policy that clearly outlines the criteria for workspace assignments within the organization. This will involve which roles or job grades will be eligible for private offices versus open-plan cubicles.
· Implement and oversee robust data management processes, including CAD/CAFM drawing and data audits. By maintaining accurate and up-to-date information, the Deputy Director looks for trends and makes recommendations in order to ensure informed decision-making and supports the MTA strategic goals.
· Coordinates a seamless integration of occupancy management systems data which facilitates efficient operations and contributes to the effective management of MTA’s vast real estate assets. Makes recommendations to senior management regarding these assets.
· Monitors and manages space utilization across the real estate portfolio. By ensuring the optimal use of resources, the Deputy Director makes recommendations that would contribute to improved cost-efficiency, making the most out of MTA's extensive space assets.
· Develops and disseminates key occupancy, space, and utilization metrics. Providing crucial insights for strategic decision-making and performance evaluation helps MTA's real estate team make data-driven decisions.
· Creates insightful dashboards and analytics that enable data-driven decision-making and real estate strategy optimization. These tools empower MTA's leadership with valuable information to guide future strategic directions and policies.
· Collaborates with various stakeholders and business lines, fostering cooperation and alignment on space usage and related initiatives. This improved operational efficiency and stakeholder satisfaction drive the collaborative spirit within the organization.
· Oversees implementing programs like mobility, hoteling, and reservation systems. These initiatives enhance space utilization, flexibility, and workforce satisfaction, all critical elements for a positive and efficient workplace environment.
· Leads the tactical planning for space usage to support the business's short-term needs and ensure operational continuity. Such planning guarantees that MTA's facilities are always ready to deliver exceptional service.
· Drives strategic planning for occupancy management. This aligns with enterprise goals and promotes a long-term, optimized workplace environment, contributing significantly to MTA's mission and vision for the future.
· Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
· Strategic Thinking: Demonstrates an ability to understand the big picture, formulate strategic plans, and foresee potential challenges and opportunities in occupancy management.
· Problem-Solving and Decision Making: Strongly identify problems, draw valid conclusions from data, and effectively make decisions that resolve issues and drive occupancy management effectiveness.
· Data Management: Understands data systems, structures, and integration techniques and the ability to implement these effectively for accurate and comprehensive occupancy data management.
· Analytical Skills: Possesses a strong capacity to analyze occupancy and space utilization data, derive insights, and inform strategic decisions.
· Leadership and Team Management: Demonstrates the ability to lead, motivate, and manage a team, fostering a collaborative environment and driving team performance toward achieving occupancy management goals.
· Stakeholder Management: Exhibits effective skills in managing relationships with diverse stakeholders, ensuring smooth integration of occupancy management practices across various business lines.
· Planning and Organizing: Shows competence in planning and organizing occupancy management strategies, effectively balancing strategic goals and day-to-day operational needs.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s degree in architecture, Facilities Management, Business Administration, Real Estate, or related field. An equivalent combination of education from an accredited college and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
· Minimum of eight (8) years of progressive experience in occupancy management, space planning, or a related field within a corporate environment.
· Experience managing a large real estate portfolio, preferably in the public sector, with a demonstrated understanding of the challenges and complexities involved.
· Proficiency in using CAD/CAFM and Integrated Workplace Management Systems (IWMS) is a must.
· Experience working with third-party vendors.
· Technical Proficiency in Space Planning Software: Proficiency in Computer-Aided Design (CAD), Computer-Aided Facility Management (CAFM), and Integrated Workplace Management Systems (IWMS) is essential. These software tools play a crucial role in comprehensive occupancy management, space planning, and the efficient tracking and optimization of space utilization. Certifications or advanced training in these systems would be an added advantage.
· Knowledge of the Real Estate Market: Familiarity with the real estate market trends and their implications on occupancy strategies would be beneficial for making informed decisions.
· Expertise in Data Analysis and Interpretation: The ability to analyze, interpret, and present occupancy and utilization data in a clear, concise manner for effective decision-making. This skill is beneficial for informing strategic planning and forecasting.
· Experience in Change Management: Given the role's strategic nature, change management experience can help effectively implement new occupancy strategies and processes, ensuring a smooth transition.
· Experience in Workplace Strategies: Experience in contemporary workplace strategies, including mobility, hoteling, and reservation systems.
· Prior supervisory experience is highly desirable.
· Strong Communication and Interpersonal Skills: Possesses exceptional communication and interpersonal abilities, essential for fostering effective collaborations with various stakeholders. These include internal teams, third-party vendors, and tenants. Explaining complex occupancy management concepts clearly and concisely is crucial, ensuring understanding and alignment across all involved parties.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
· Be able to respond to emergencies on a 24/7 basis. May need to work outside of normal work hours (i.e., evenings and weekends).
· Travel will be required to other MTA locations or other external sites.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.