JOB TITLE: Manager, Printing Operations
SALARY RANGE: $111,362 - $115,000
HAY POINTS: 571
DEPT/DIV: Customer Communications
SUPERVISOR: Director, Customer Information & Printing
LOCATION: 201 Bush Street, Brooklyn NY
HOURS OF WORK: 7:00am - 3:00pm
DEADLINE February 16, 2024
This position is accountable for the direction, management, and coordination of the Authority’s in-house printing plant operations. The incumbent directs the planning, scheduling, and revision of printing speculations for the internal web press, digital and sheetfed printing jobs. Major responsibilities include the following: direct the in-house print shop, including its production and necessary administrative functions, equipment planning and acquisition, and maintenance and supply inventory control. The incumbent will establish and maintain quantitative, qualitative and production standards, establish standards for all forms used by NYCT and administer forms and stationery control programs.
- Oversees the operations of the print shop to ensure that it operates efficiently and effectively. Manages production process to meet agency print communication needs, including major campaigns, unplanned work that often requires same day output, in addition to routine high-volume output. Integrates additional work formerly outsourced, including Metro-North and LIRR printing. Directs employees and assigns equipment for all internal web press and sheetfed printing jobs.
- Plans and directs the reprographic center operations at Livingston Plaza and in the Red Hook location. This includes setting priorities, scheduling staffing; determining optimum inks/paper for the best appearance and durability; managing inventory to ensure availability of supplies. Identifying new technologies that could improve workflow efficiency.
- Directs the maintenance program for all pre-press equipment, offset web and offset sheetfed printing presses, scheduling routine inspections and arranging on-site contracted preventative maintenance. Establishes quality control testing programs, equipment lifecycles, and ensures funding and contracts are in place for timely replacement and relinquishment of old equipment.
- Ensures that employees are properly trained to operate machinery and that they understand safety procedures. Manages the safety program for the Print Shop and Reproduction Center, leads monthly safety meetings, ensures that daily safety audits are conducted, and corrective actions are performed. Manages compliance with Workplace Violence Prevention and Job Hazard Assessment programs.
- Selects, develops, and motivates personnel within the department. Provides career development for subordinates. Provides prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Reviews performance of staff. Creates a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist with the management and tracking of multiple print projects simultaneously to meet tight production deadlines for high priority and unscheduled projects, ensure high quality products.
- Monitor contracts and budgets closely and establish procedures to track preventive maintenance. Ensure that all quality standards are met through regular audits of printed material.
- Ensure that the necessary resources, materials, and services are available to support the Print Shops goals and objectives.
- Ensure that departmental processes and procedures are in place that provide controls to safeguard Print Shop operations. The incumbent must have a thorough understanding of departmental operations and activities and have a strong understanding of internal control procedures and the MTA’s Internal Control Program.
- Review client requests to determine whether they can be fulfilled using existing technology or processes.
- Has some level of authority for the decision making, staffing, and budget for their functional area of responsibility, subject to approval regarding the most significant Business and Policy issues by the departmental management and/or Senior Management.
- Decision-making authority over their functional area of responsibility is within well-defined, somewhat diversified procedures and precedents.
- Analyzes and makes recommendations for policy and procedural changes with final approval from departmental management and/or Senior Management and supports implementation of such changes.
- May provide input into overall strategy and approach in consultation with departmental management and/or HQ Senior Management.
- Must have knowledge in both web and sheetfed printing, prepress, estimating, production management and quality control through finishing.
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communications skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all internal levels within a given organization.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-profile, high-pressure environment effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with key internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Must have strong managerial skills to effectively direct a staff of professional and technical employees in implementing the short- and long-term goals and direction for the area of responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to complete short- and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
- Demonstrated analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite or comparable applications, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- May need to work outside of normal work hours (i.e., evenings and weekends).
- Travel may be required to other MTA locations or other external sites.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent; or Four-year certificate in printing and production management
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in printing, with technical experience.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience as a full-time press operator of a 4/color plus sheetfed or web press.
- Minimum five (5) years of experience in managing a full-service print facility or group.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree; and
- Prior experience working in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s collective bargaining procedures.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.