BUS MAINTENANCE SUPERVISOR
Exam No. 4324 (Pro.), Exam No. 4325 (OC)
Job Title: Bus Maintenance Supervisor (Bus Mechanic Supervisor)
Full/Part Time: Full-time
First Date of Posting: November 13, 2023
Last Date of Posting: February 11, 2024
Authority: MTA Bus Company
Division: Bus Maintenance
Reports to: Superintendent
Work Location: Various
Hours of Work: Various
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The current minimum salary for Bus Maintenance Supervisor is $38.69 per hour with increments to $44.99 per hour in the sixth year of service. These rates are subject to change. The benefits of this position include, but are not limited to, night and weekend salary differentials, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, a comprehensive medical plan and a pension plan.
Bus Maintenance Supervisors, supervise Bus Maintainers (Chassis) and other maintenance and transportation titles performing the maintenance, installation, inspection, testing, alteration, shifting, and repair of buses and other automotive vehicles and related bus shop equipment; plan work and monitor production levels and trends; use a computerized information system to access data; perform safety assessments and quality audits; perform diagnoses and troubleshooting of bus systems; research technical problems; perform inspection work and research on new equipment; forecast material, tool and equipment requirements; keep records and write reports; operate a bus for testing, evaluation or instructional purposes; and perform related work.
Some of the physical activities performed by Bus Maintenance Supervisors and environmental conditions they experience are: working outdoors in all kinds of weather; walking in and around bus garages; climbing and walking on fuel, oil and gasoline trucks; making visual inspections of equipment; distinguishing colors; reading gauges and prints; and hearing warnings (bells, whistle and vocal).
Special Working Conditions: Bus Maintenance Supervisors may be required to work various shifts, including nights, Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
(This brief description does not include all the duties of this position.)
WHO CAN TAKE THE EXAM:
Eligibility to Take Exam Requirements:
On the date of the structured interview test, you must be employed in MTA Bus Company in the eligible title of Bus Maintainer (Chassis) and not otherwise ineligible. To be promoted from the eligibility list, you must have completed your probation in the eligible title.
Employees working in agencies other than MTA Bus Company are not eligible for this promotional opportunity and must apply through the open competitive process if they believe they meet the education and experience requirement.
OPEN COMPETITIVE CANDIDATES
When you apply, you must meet the following requirements:
- Three years of full-time experience as a journey-level automotive mechanic (i.e., fully trained, proficient, knowledgeable, experienced, and competent) troubleshooting and repairing passenger automobiles, trucks, buses, or aircraft; plus
- One year of satisfactory full-time supervisory experience overseeing journey-level automotive mechanics (i.e., fully trained, proficient, knowledgeable, experienced, and competent) who troubleshoot and repair automotive or aircraft mechanical and electrical systems, or a closely related trade.
You must have obtained one of the following before obtaining your above journey-level experience in “1.” for that experience to be credited:
- Two years of full-time experience as a mechanic’s helper, apprentice or trainee performing or assisting in the work described in “1.”; or
- Graduation from a recognized trade school or technical school, approved by a state’s Department of Education or comparable agency, with a major course of study in automotive mechanics or closely related field, totaling 600 hours; or
- Graduation from a vocational high school, approved by a state’s Department of Education or a comparable agency, with a major course of study in automotive mechanics or a closely related field; or
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with an AAS degree or higher in automotive mechanics or a closely related field. Accreditation must be by a regional, national, professional or specialized agency recognized as an accrediting body by the U.S.
REQUIREMENTS TO BE APPOINTED OR PROMOTED
Driver License Requirement: At the time of appointment/promotion, you must possess either:
- A Class A or Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement, no airbrake restrictions and no other disqualifying restrictions that would preclude the performance of the duties of this title; or
- A Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York
If you qualify under “2” above, your appointment/promotion will be subject to the receipt of:
- A Learner Permit for a Class B CDL valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement and no airbrake restrictions, or any other disqualifying restrictions within 14 days of appointment/promotion; and
- A Class B CDL valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement, no airbrake restrictions, and no other disqualifying restrictions within 120 days of appointment/promotion, or your employment will be terminated. If you have serious moving violations, a license suspension, or an accident record, you may be disqualified.
The Class A or Class B commercial Driver License (CDL) with a passenger endorsement, no airbrake restrictions and no other disqualifying restrictions must be maintained for the duration of your employment in the title. Such license must not include any restrictions which would preclude the performance of Bus Maintenance Supervisor work.
Commercial Motor Vehicle Driving Experience in the Military or New York National Guard:
If you are an active member or former member (discharged in the past year) of the military or New York National Guard and have experience driving a Commercial Motor Vehicle in the military or New York National Guard, you may be eligible for a waiver of the New York State commercial driving skills test through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. If you believe that you may be eligible for this waiver, you must apply for the waiver through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
New York City Residency is not required for this position.
You must be able to understand and be understood in English to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
You may be required to undergo a formalized training course during your probationary period. Failure to successfully complete the training course may result in termination or you may be returned to your previously held title.
Candidates may be asked to participate in a competitive structured interview. The structured interview may consist of two parts: an automotive mechanics knowledge-based component and a supervisory abilities component. A score of 65% is required to pass both parts of the structured interview.
Your scores on both parts of the competitive structured interview will be combined to determine 85% of your final score. A score of at least 65% is required to pass the structured interview. Your score on the structured interview will determine 85% of your final score. Your seniority will determine the remaining 15%. You must pass the structured interview to have your seniority credited. Seniority will be calculated as follows: a base rating of 70% for all candidates who meet the eligibility requirements, plus 3% for each year of service in MTA Bus Company or one of the private bus companies consolidated under the MTA Bus Company to a maximum of 100% for 10 or more years of eligible service through the first date of the application period of which you apply. Partial seniority credit will be given for each day served as an MTA Bus Company employee. Time served prior to a break in service of more than one year will not be credited. Your rank order on the hiring list will be determined by your final score.
OPEN COMPETITIVE CANDIDATES:
A score of at least 65% is required to pass the structured interview. Your scores on both parts of the structured interview will be combined to determine your final score. Your rank order on the hiring list will be determined by your score on the structured interview.
If you meet the Qualification Requirements above, you can submit an online application by clicking on the "APPLY NOW" button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page. If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY:
The MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including veteran status and individuals with disabilities. The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds and experiences, including military service members, to apply.