Job Title: Cleaner/Maintainer’s Helper (Mechanic’s Helper)
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
First Date of Posting: August 1, 2023
Last Date of Filing: January 31, 2024
Authority: MTA Bus Company
Reports to: Supervisor
Work Location: Various
Hours of Work: Various
Salary Range: The current minimum salary for Cleaner/Maintainer’s Helper is $19.03 per hour for a 40-hour work week increasing to $32.67 in the sixth year of service. These rates are subject to change. The benefits of this position include, but are not limited to, night and weekend salary differentials, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, a comprehensive medical plan and a pension plan.
Cleaner/Maintainer’s Helpers clean, sweep and wash buses, depots, garages, shops and other MTA Bus Company facilities. They move refuse containers, pallets and other items using forklifts; operate powered/vehicle sweepers; and perform related work.
Cleaner/Maintainer’s Helpers may be promoted to the title of Maintainer’s Helper, in seniority order, without further examination.
Maintainer’s Helpers assist in the maintenance, installation, inspection, testing, alteration and repair of buses and electromechanical equipment. They clean and lubricate bus parts; move bus parts and equipment using forklifts, hi-los, hoists, hand-trucks and conveyors; measure tire pressure and change flat tires; check and maintain fluid levels of engine oil, batteries, radiators and windshield washer reservoirs; fuel buses; drain waste oil; sandblast parts; drive buses and trucks; and perform related work.
Some of the physical activities performed and environmental conditions experienced are: working outdoors in all weather conditions; walking on slippery surfaces; reading gauges in dimly-lit areas; climbing and descending ladders; wearing required personal protective equipment; using both hands to work overhead for extended periods of time; responding to audible signals, such as alarms, bells, horns, whistles; responding to visual signals; distinguishing colors; using manual equipment; and lifting and carrying heavy equipment.
Special Working Conditions: Cleaner/Maintainer’s Helpers, may be required to work various shifts including nights, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
(This brief description does not include all of the duties of this position.)
How to Qualify:
- Two years of full-time experience performing or assisting in the performance of inspections, installations, alterations, maintenance, testing or repairs of bus, truck, automotive or aircraft electro-mechanical components including bodies, engines, transmissions, brakes, electrical or air conditioning systems, or related components or systems; or
- Graduation from a vocational high school with a major course of study in automotive maintenance, or a closely related field; or
- Graduation from a recognized trade school or technical school with a major course of study in automotive mechanics, or a closely related field, totaling at least 600 hours; or
- An associate degree or higher from an accredited college of university in automotive mechanics or a closely related field.
Requirements to be Appointed:
Driver License Requirement: At the time of appointment, you must possess either:
1. A Class A or Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement, no airbrake restrictions and no other disqualifying restrictions that would preclude the performance of the duties of this title; or
2. A Motor Vehicle Driver License valid in the State of New York.
If you qualify under “2” above, your appointment will be subject to the receipt of
- a Learner Permit for a Class B CDL valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement and no airbrake restrictions, or any other disqualifying restrictions within 14 days of appointment; and
- a Class B CDL valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement, no airbrake restrictions, and no other disqualifying restrictions within 120 days of appointment, or your employment will be terminated. If you have serious moving violations, a license suspension, or an accident record, you may be disqualified.
The Class A or Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) with a passenger endorsement, no airbrake restrictions and no other disqualifying restrictions must be maintained for the duration of your employment in the title. Such license must not include any restrictions which would preclude the performance of Cleaner/Maintainer’s Helper work.
Commercial Motor Vehicle Driving Experience in the Military or New York National Guard: If you are an active member or former member (discharged in the past year) of the military or New York National Guard and have experience driving a Commercial Motor Vehicle in the military or New York National Guard, you may be eligible for a waiver of the New York State commercial driving skills test through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles. If you believe that you may be eligible for this waiver, you must apply for the waiver through the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles.
Medical Requirement: Medical guidelines have been established for the position of Cleaner/Maintainer’s Helper. You will be examined to determine whether you can perform the essential functions of the position. Where appropriate, a reasonable accommodation will be provided for a person with a disability to enable such person to perform the essential functions of the job.
Drug Screening Requirement: You must pass a drug screening in order to be appointed, and if appointed, you will be subject to random drug and alcohol tests for the duration of your employment. Additionally, if you have tested positive on a drug or alcohol test or had a refusal to test during pre-employment or while employed by a Federal DOT-regulated employer during the applicable period, you must have completed the Substance Abuse Professional (SAP) evaluation, referral and education/treatment process required by federal law in order to be appointed to this safety-sensitive position.
How to Apply:
If you meet the qualification requirements above, you can submit an online application by clicking on the "APPLY NOW" button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page. If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a User Name and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
Selection Method / Admission Letter:
Candidates may be asked to participate in one or more of the following: an education and experience test, a written assessment, a practical skills assessment and/or a structured interview.
Six hiring lists will be established for this title in accordance with the application periods below. A candidate who submits an application during a particular application period will only be arranged in final score order with the other candidates who submit an application during the same application period.
• Application Period 1 - Hiring List 1 – The first date of the application period through August 31, 2023
• Application Period 2 - Hiring List 2 – September 1, 2023 through October 1, 2023
• Application Period 3 - Hiring List 3 – October 2, 2023 through October 31, 2023
• Application Period 4 - Hiring List 4 – November 1, 2023 through November 30, 2023
• Application Period 5 - Hiring List 5 – December 1, 2023 through January 1, 2024
• Application Period 6 - Hiring List 6 – January 2, 2024 through January 31, 2024
All selected candidates will be subject to a full background investigation that includes employment and education. Discrepancies may lead to dismissal.
Candidates who apply to multiple application periods will only be permitted to take the education and experience test, written assessment, practical skills assessment and/or structured interview one time.
Applicants must keep their contact information (email, mailing, phone) up to date. The contact information you entered in your online profile with the MTA will be used to contact you. You can update your address and other contact information.by logging into your MTA profile or by sending an email to [email protected].
Equal Employment Opportunity:
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, including veteran status and individuals with disabilities. The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds and experiences, including military service members, to apply.