JOB TITLE: Senior Manager, Project Management
SALARY RANGE: $95,000-$115,000
HAY POINTS: 588
DEPT/DIV: People Department
SUPERVISOR: Senior Director of Program Delivery & Process Management
LOCATION: 2 Broadway New York, NY 10004
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
The Program Delivery and Process Management team’s primary objective is to manage a transformational portfolio of enterprise-wide programs and projects that introduce best practices in talent acquisition, organizational design and development, performance management, compensation, benefits, and HR operations and analytics. This team is also responsible for designing and maintaining a continuous improvement program, that will enable and enhance the capabilities of the People team to effectively support the overall strategic objectives of the organization.
The Senior Manager, Project Management will report directly to the Senior Director of Program Delivery & Process Management. The Project Manager will be responsible for supporting the portfolio of enterprise-wide projects within Talent Acquisition, organizational design & development, performance management, compensation, benefits area, & the HR Operations & Analytics department. The Senior Manager will also be managing smaller scale projects and documenting various internal processes within the People’s department various functions. The Project Manager will use their analytical skills to apply statistical methods, perform cost analysis and root-cause analysis for managing various process improvement initiatives. The Project Manager will run workshops with various internal clients and look to re-engineer processes and supporting systems to improve process capabilities, capacity, workflow, and internal logistics.
The successful candidate will lead and facilitate kaizen teams and processes. They will design and manage multiple projects while applying lean theory and principles to all industrial processes to drive strategic initiatives and process optimization efforts. Moreover, the selected candidate will create, update, and audit all levels of documentation to ensure adherence to standardized work and form a benchmark of continuous improvement. Lastly, the incumbent must ensure alignment of engineering resources to achieve strategic targets and ensure the systems put in place continue to meet end user’s needs.
This role will be responsible for supporting & implementing agency-wide HR strategic initiatives, complex HR process improvements and informational systems integration projects from a strategic and tactical level.
This department also serves as a center of excellence in business analysis and process improvement for the MTA. It will enable the MTA to harness the capabilities of continuous process improvement. This role is also responsible for supporting the business architecture function inclusive of the HR function’s capabilities, processes, controls, and key performance indicators that will enable a structured, efficient and transparent approach for the delivery of HR process improvement programs and projects.
· Support The Process Management Team with documentation and continuous improvement program processes and procedures.
· Lead BPM Workshops/projects to embed the BCM Capabilities Model, enterprise processes and other HR related projects.
· Scope and charter the work for business process continuous improvement efforts.
· Support the development of modeling & continuous improvement capabilities across all agencies for development of training, guidance, tools, etc.
· Coach and mentor business leaders, team members to execute solutions as they relate to the current and future state business environment.
- Build process maps, project plans, data collection plans, data analysis; identify synergies and gaps around the process for standardization and optimization.
· Within the center of excellence team, create and build process models and templates for reusability, identifies, and shares best practices and economies of scale across agencies to drive, capture and sustain process improvements leading to process consistency and standardization across agencies.
Perform creation of business processes, model requirements and detail with MTA specific division SMEs during workshops.
· Discover and develop business process models with MTA specific division SMEs to document (as-is) and/or Future State process models in BPMN modelling notation.
· Create and Produce Standard Operational Procedures for various division specific processes.
· Perform detailed review of process models and organizational charts prior to review in alignment with project requirements.
· Facilitate remediation of modeling issues/procedure documentation with SMEs
· Facilitate & manage large cross-functional and cross-departmental projects with high complexity and cross-organizational impact.
· Provide full lifecycle project management of MTA-wide process improvement initiatives from project mandate to benefits realization, including progress monitoring, reporting and quality assurance throughout all stages, to timely address cost, time, scope, quality, and risk deviations.
· Develop project scoping and initiation documents, including project briefs, business cases, communications materials, project risks, quality and configuration strategies to drive successful stakeholder engagement, issue escalation and resolution, risk mitigation, and project completion.
· Perform Cost Benefit project reporting analysis (PMO) on all launched six sigma projects across each agency. Recommend possible solutions to improve productivity, quality, and safety on various projects. Conduct mentorship sessions with various six sigma candidates in the training program to provide guidance on their projects and expertise.
· Create, update, and audit all levels of documentation to ensure adherence to standardized work and create benchmarks and KPI’s to track the programs results and progress.
· Prepare change management plans and stakeholder communications to ensure stakeholder buy-in, brief executives and senior leaders across the agencies, foster active participation in MTA-wide projects, and manage resistance to change.
· Be the change agent to implement industry best, state of the art practices for short term and long-term productivity gains.
· Ensure process improvements are tied to measurable financial and non-financial benefits, and such benefits are in line with the corporate objectives and long-term goals.
· Create and design business plans, and provide RFP support as required.
· Translates recommendations into communication materials to effectively present to senior leadership.
· Other project management duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Resistance to change: Changing current business practices will naturally cause conflict and produce resistance. This requires applying creative problem solving, systems thinking and change management tactics in dealing with issues, projects and problems. Changing current business practices will naturally cause conflict and produce resistance. This requires applying creative problem solving, systems thinking and change management tactics in dealing with issues, projects, and problems. This also requires an ability to work collaboratively with multiple stakeholders towards finding a solution while recognizing their potential impact on the organization. Formulating creative solutions, analyzing alternative courses of action, and evaluating the pros and cons will be necessary to ensure alignment of the program with organizational goals. Creating strategies to minimize the creation of and impact of operating silos and to form strategic relationships.
Scope and size of the program: the program scope of this role is enterprise wide, touching each operating agency and will have high visibility at the executive and senior level. Managing and coordinating numerous projects in business processes, and organizational development across the agencies and various levels of the organization, require strong project management and communication skills.
Internal consulting competency: Employees prefer to hear from senior leaders about the business reasons for the change and to hear from their direct supervisors about the personal impacts of the change. This requires the ability to serve in an informal advisory capacity: supporting and enabling clients, who are the preferred information senders, to influence stakeholders to adopt change in their respective agencies. Advising clients by providing frameworks, templates and related solutions uniquely suited to their needs requires a combination of organizational/ transportation industry knowledge and core consulting skills such as client engagement.
Information Silos: Silos extended within and among MTA agencies separate departments, business functions and levels of employees. These organizational silos result in duplicated efforts to collect information and limited information sharing. Silos usually are resistant to change, operating to prevent easy access to the information they hold and creating barriers to change and cooperation. Silos make it difficult for communication and collaboration to occur across groups. Improving information sharing and breaking silos requires a robust understanding of organizational culture, problem solving skills, ability to collaborate with others and facility with communication strategy to increase trust and begin to solve the problems.
· Demonstrated experience building and leading a high performing team.
· Must possess innovative and strategic thinking with a track record of delivering results.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, programs and teams simultaneously with adherence to standards and deadlines.
· Ability to identify, analyze, prioritize, and resolve complex problems.
· Strong knowledge of organizational change management principles and practices.
· Strong knowledge of project management principles and experience.
· Ability to effectively prioritize and execute in a high-pressure environment.
· Ability to independently set priorities and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment; a self-starter.
· Familiarity with creating Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) and documenting key process requirements and can produce sample work upon request to the MTA.
· General Knowledge of public mass transit assets & operations.
· Expert Knowledge of lean methods, waste elimination, 5S, total productive maintenance, flow, and error proofing.
· Ability to perform root-cause analysis and value stream mapping.
· Led Kaizen or CI events and or improvement teams and implemented lean manufacturing techniques.
· Must be able to prepare concise and insightful reports in a timely manner.
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels in the company & outside agencies.
· Demonstrated oral and written communications skills.
· Demonstrated Interpersonal and collaboration skills.
· Strong knowledge data reporting methodologies and visualization.
· Ability to align performance standards to KPIs.
· Ability to manage superior, peer, direct report, stakeholder and customer relationships.
· Ability to build consensus, influence and present to senior, peer and stakeholder leadership.
· Working knowledge of budget management and financial reporting.
May need to work outside of normal work hours (i.e. evenings and weekends)
· Travel may be required to other MTA locations or other external sites.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· A Bachelor’s Degree in in Business or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
· A minimum of 7 years’ experience in Strategic initiatives or executing large-scale organizational projects.
· Minimum 5 years’ experience in Center of Excellence operations, Shared Services, or related environment.
· Certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt from an accredited institution or training company (Black Belt preferred).
· A Master’s Degree from an accredited college in industrial, systems, mechanical or manufacturing engineering field or a related business field and one year of satisfactory full-time related professional experience or
· Preferred minimum 7 years’ experience in Business Process Modelling (& management) with MS Visio is required.
· Strong Problem Solving & analytical skills.
· Strong Project Management, coordination, and multi-tasking skills.
· Strong Leadership skills with the ability to develop, motivate and foster teamwork.
· Strong ability to exercise a reasonable level or in-depth judgement and decision making.
· Strong Verbal and written communication skills.
· Excellent organizational & planning skills with attention to detail.
· Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment
· Must be able to prepare concise and insightful reports in a timely manner
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels in the company & outside agencies
· Working knowledge of Microsoft office (Work, EXCEL, Visio, Access, etc).
· Proficient in MS VISIO for process mapping
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.