Title: Special Investigator, Security Operations
Department: Office of Security
Post Date: 11/09/2023
Close Date: 11/22/2023
Hay Point Evaluation: 611
Salary Range: $84,419 - $110,800
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Chief Security Officer
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
The position of Special Investigator -Security Operations, reports directly to the Chief Security Officer is responsible for managing and conducting sensitive and confidential investigations, workplace & domestic violence, studies and/or audits of loss, fraud, abuse, misconduct, mismanagement, and policy violations. The position is responsible to develop and implement pro-active programs to identify and limit opportunities for loss, fraud, abuse, misconduct, mismanagement, workplace violence and policy violations to support the LIRR and in conformance with the MTA HQ – Office of Security’s direction for the coordinated security efforts of all MTA agencies. The position will oversee, monitor, evaluate and determine a coordinated security response that shall meet the requirements of LIRR, creating efficiencies between LIRR, Operating Departments and MTA security groups through the identification of mitigations to be instituted for the security and safety of employees and customers.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Conduct and/or manage sensitive and confidential investigations, workplace and domestic violence, studies and/or audits of loss, fraud, abuse, misconduct, mismanagement, and policy violations.
- Serve as Investigative liaison to MTA Office of the Inspector General (OIG) and MTA Police Department (MTAPD), NYPD, LIRR Labor Relations, LIRR Unions and contractors, Safety Dept., LIRR management teams to facilitate confidential requests for information, records, documents, etc. for the LIRR Office of Security
- Attend meetings to address security issues, disseminate security information, and to foster security consciousness and behaviors within the workforce.
- Develop and coordinate surveillance program to pro-actively identify security vulnerabilities or misconduct.
- Manage surveillance contractor activities, conduct first-hand surveillance, and prepare detailed, confidential surveillance reports.
- Assist LIRR departments in the investigation of claims of misconduct.
- Prepare investigation reports, present finding, testify at hearings.
- Prepare and conduct presentations utilizing various applications to demonstrate progress/information as required by State and Local requirements informing employees, unions and senior management of trends within the LIRR.
- Conduct pro-active reviews and audits of LIRR timekeeping, vehicle tracking, access control, video and other systems and records to identify and limit opportunities for misconduct and losses.
- Ensure a secure working environment and adherence to guidelines of company security and safety policies and procedures.
- Promote secure and safe work practices and provide secure and safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential. Lead by example.
- All other assignments as assigned by the Chief Security Officer.
- A Bachelor's degree in Security Management, Criminal Justice, Operations Management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree subject to approval.
- Must possess a minimum of Seven (7) years of demonstrated progressive experience in security or related field, in loss prevention and/or conducting confidential investigations in a Security or Investigatory related function.
- Must possess experience with Video Management Systems, access control applications and investigation applications.
- Proven investigative skills and writing techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to manage organizational goals.
- Strong leadership and decision-making abilities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage multiple assignments with fluctuating priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of highly sensitive information.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications
- Must be able to deal effectively with emergencies and be capable to respond on a 24x7 basis, including after hours, weekends and holidays as required.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license from the state of your legal residence.
-Developed knowledge of standard industrial investigative practices and methodologies.
-Investigative Experience and/or Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) or equivalent experience
-NIMS/ICS Certifications (100, 200, 700).
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than 10 sick days in two of last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.