JOB TITLE: Associate, Strategic Initiatives
SALARY RANGE: $71,328 - $90,000
HAY POINTS: 451
DEPT/DIV: Strategic Initiatives
SUPERVISOR: Director, Strategic Initiatives
LOCATION: MTAHQ - 2 Broadway, New York, NY 10004
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
This position exists to support identification and execution of strategies across the MTA family that will improve efficiency, service quality and overall performance. These initiatives are essential to achieve MTA’s targets for recurring savings that are a cornerstone of the MTA’s Financial Plan. The position conducts data collection and analysis, field observation, research, and modeling. End result of the analysis enables the design of strategies and programs to optimize decision-making, optimize resource allocation and improve efficiency and effectiveness through revised MTA business practices.
· Conduct financial analysis and business process reviews supporting for high-profile initiatives for MTA executive leadership to improve MTA’s economic efficiency, service quality and overall performance.
· Support interdepartmental MTAHQ and interagency working groups to execute projects critical to reshaping MTA into more innovative and cost-effective agency such as OMNY as Mobility as a Service Platform project. Projects assigned to Strategic Initiatives division often have a large quantitative and/or process design component. Associate, Strategic Initiatives position will have primary responsibility for supporting the quantitative and analytical sides of each project.
· Conducts research and project management to support and inform critical decisions which will impact MTA’s cost structure and/or overall productivity and - examples include benchmarking operational and support functions, evaluation of historical cost trends and relevant drivers.
· Support interdepartmental and interagency working groups to execute strategic initiatives critical to reshaping MTA into a more sustainable and cost-effective organization.
· With direction provided by Director of Strategic Initiatives, the position will develop sophisticated Excel models, carry out research and data collection, conduct financial modeling to test business hypotheses and assist in preparing presentations and proposals that make a clear case for transformation.
· Frequent interactions with the Business Service Center and IT data groups to gather and analyze large data sets.
· Work with various headquarters functions to adopt new services and business practices.
· More efficient and effective business practices often include development of new information systems. On occasion, work with multiple levels of IT to develop business needs for such systems.
· On operational initiatives, MTA task forces commonly consist of members from Strategic Initiatives, Budget, and the operating agencies themselves.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
· Must be able to perform rigorous data analysis to support Manager and Director of Strategic Initiatives as they identify and develop optimal business strategies.
· With direction from Senior Director of Strategic Initiatives, identify and collect available data through research or field observation, build appropriate Excel models, and execute appropriate analytics and modeling to generate business insights.
· Assist in producing professional grade presentation and memorandums based on these insights and in some cases assist in executing business strategies developed by management.
· Provide analysis of business strategies through examination of business plans and pro-formas.
· Understand targeted business processes and identify opportunities to reduce duration or work effort without sacrificing outcomes.
· Strong management, teambuilding, and communication skills.
· Excellent quantitative, analytical, project management and problem-solving skills, together with demonstrated quantitative skills and proficiency in Excel modeling.
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with the talent to communicate complex quantitative concepts in a clear and succinct way to internal stakeholders.
· Strong interpersonal skills with an established history of working on projects requiring group consensus and cooperation among people with no direct reporting relationships.
· Must be capable of building a strong and successful network, developing new relationships and influencing decision makers.
· Demonstrated ability to work in team and/or group settings, including gathering data from various stakeholders and interviewing stakeholders in a team or individual setting.
· Ability to prioritize among competing needs and opportunities and manage multiple projects at the same time.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s degree with outstanding academic achievement or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
· Minimum of 3 years’ progressively responsible work or internship experience.
· A Master’s Degree or experience in high level comprehensive Excel modeling may be used to substitute for up to 2 years of work experience.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the "Commission")
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.