JOB TITLE: Creative Director
SALARY RANGE: $140,000 - $150,000
HAY POINTS: 994
SUPERVISOR: Senior Director Marketing Production & Creative
LOCATION: 2 Broadway New York, NY 10004
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00am - 5:30pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
DEADLINE: November 22, 2023
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Marketing Production & Creative, the Creative Director will oversee and provide creative counsel on all graphic design and artwork to ensure the high quality and consistency of MTA branding, look and feel across multimedia channels. The incumbent manages the conceptualization and stylistic design of highly visible customer communications supporting agency goals and initiatives. The Creative Director will provide direction to the Deputy Director of Design, the Deputy Director, Video, and the Senior Copywriter to execute creative concepts and ensure the timely output of products that engage customers and drive awareness and visitation to our information channels. The Creative Director works closely with designers, copywriters, digital and social media strategists, videographers and the Marketing Production team to design, schedule and coordinate the production of projects.
- Works closely with the Senior Director, Marketing Production & Creative, the Deputy Director Design, Deputy Director Video, Senior Copywriter, and the creative services team to develop visual conceptualizations for the timely execution of comprehensive communications. The incumbent works closely with Marketing project managers to schedule and coordinate the production of projects. The individual will effectively manage external vendors and internal colleagues to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Develops conceptual and stylistic direction and executes for a wide variety of communications projects. Oversees and manages a staff of graphic and freelance designers. Leads and provides guidance to implementing creative concepts, including orchestrating projects and collaborating with designers, copywriters, digital and social media strategists, videographers, and prepress technicians at the Print Shop.
- The incumbent maintains and updates our design/brand guidelines, emphasizing a “digital first” mentality. Directs the development of a library of design templates for use across many customer touchpoints on and off-line. Implements a process for managing design requests from internal stakeholders for a consistent approach and to maintain strict quality control.
- Will remain current on industry standards and practices. Will research new technologies and software to maximize efficiencies and to enhance the finished product.
- Will select, develop, and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review performance of staff. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Responsible for the conceptualization, stylistic design, and execution of creative concepts.
- Oversees the development of a library of design templates. Implements a process for managing design requests from internal stakeholders for a consistent approach and to maintain strict quality control.
- Has moderate level of authority for the decision making, staffing, and budget for their functional area of responsibility, subject to approval regarding the most significant Business and Policy issues by the Senior Director.
- Decision-making authority over their functional area of responsibility is somewhat defined with the freedom to determine how to accomplish work goals. Guided by substantially diversified procedures and specialized standards.
- Makes recommendations for policy and procedural changes with final approval from the Senior Director, Marketing Production & Creative.
- Provides input into overall strategy and approach in consultation with departmental management or HQ Senior Management.
- Mastery of the aesthetic and technical aspects of the modern design content production process.
- Extensive experience with advanced collaborative digital production workflows, including applications such as Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro and Apple Motion.
- Deep knowledge of motion graphics, illustration, 3D modeling and information design.
- Experience with remote workflows and shared media infrastructure.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work with all internal levels within a given organization.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work in a high-profile, high-pressure environment.
- Demonstrated ability to complete short and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
- Demonstrated basic analytical capabilities and quantitative skills.
- May need to work outside of normal work hours (i.e., evenings and weekends).
- Travel may be required to other MTA locations or other external sites.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in graphic design, marketing, digital arts or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from an accredited college may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 8 years related experience, including at least 4 years in a managerial and/or leadership role in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body preferred.
- Master’s degree in design, film, illustration, information design, or animation.
- Prior experience in high-end production workflows.
- Prior experience working in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.