JOB TITLE: Transit Compliance Specialist (Subways)
SALARY RANGE: $80,000-$85,000
HAY POINTS: 353
DEPT/DIV: Safety & Security/Occupational Health Services
SUPERVISOR: Assistant Manager, Transit Compliance (Subways)
LOCATION: 180 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY *
*This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply for telework 30 days after their effective date of hire.
The Transit Compliance Specialist supports the Assistant Manager, Transit Compliance with ensuring the Transit drug/alcohol testing program for the Subways department is compliant with federal substance abuse testing/detection/deterrence requirements mandated by Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations, including those specified under Title 49 CFR Part 40 (Procedures for Transportation Workplace Drug and Alcohol Testing Programs) and Part 655 (FTA – Federal Transit Administration). This also includes compliance with additional requirements set forth in MTA policy.
- To ensure compliance with DOT regulation and MTA policy, retrieve and securely/confidentially maintain Transit drug/alcohol testing records (electronic and hard-copy) for the Subways department, including, but not limited to, pre-placement and post-hire drug test results, employee testing notification forms, supervisor excusal of random/follow-up testing, supervisor referrals for post-accident/reasonable suspicion testing, supervisor/employee training, SAP evaluation and follow-up testing prescriptions, etc.
- To ensure compliance with DOT regulation relative to the placement of Subways job applicants into DOT-regulated positions, obtain drug/alcohol testing history from previous DOT-regulated employers of job applicants (as well as existing Subways employees seeking placement into a DOT-regulated position) necessary for job qualification and placement.
- Liaise with corporate MROs, specimen collectors, alcohol testing technicians, Labor Relations attorneys, Human Resources recruiters, and SAPs as required to ensure compliance with MTA policy concerning potential drug/alcohol testing violations.
- To meet DOT requirements of federally regulated employers, support inquiries from Subways field liaisons, supervisors, and employees concerning MTA policy and federal regulation related to drug/alcohol testing requirements, as well as development and distribution of drug/alcohol processing standards/practices, educational material, and related training.
- Other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to consistently secure and preserve the confidentiality of regulated testing data and related documentation.
- Capable of working effectively in a high-profile/high-pressure environment.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, as well as video web conferencing tools, such as Teams, Zoom, Webex, GoToMeeting, etc
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Transportation, Safety/Security, Public Policy, Human Resources, Labor Relations, or a related field. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 1 years related work experience.
- Credentials relative to workplace drug/alcohol testing is a plus
- Familiarity with Transit operating rules, collective bargaining agreements, as well as MTA policies and system applications
- Travel to various MTA locations
- Work outside of normal business hours (i.e., evenings, weekends, and holidays) may be required
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.