JOB TITLE: Manager, Strategic Initiatives
SALARY RANGE: $122,800
HAY POINTS: 634
DEPT/DIV: Strategic Initiatives
SUPERVISOR: Director, Strategic Initiatives
LOCATION: 2 Broadway
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
The Manager, Strategic Initiatives, Operational Effectiveness will oversee projects across the MTA family that align with the agency’s strategic priorities—specifically, to improve efficiency, service quality and overall performance. These projects will contribute substantially to the MTA’s targets for recurring cost savings, which is a cornerstone of the MTA’s Financial Plan. Under the supervision of the Director, Strategic Initiatives, the selected candidate will conduct detailed business case and related financial modeling; develop and validate proposed interventions; conduct rigorous data analysis, financial analysis, and field observation; and perform vital project management functions to achieve tangible outcomes and high-quality deliverables. These initiatives will facilitate optimized decision-making and resource allocation, as well as increase organizational efficiency and effectiveness through modernized business practices.
The selected candidate will oversee analyst-level employees, providing coaching, professional development, and mentorship. The selected candidate will also be accountable for project completion and success, under the supervision of the Director, Strategic Initiatives.
- Work on high-profile initiatives for MTA executive leadership to improve the MTA’s organizational capacity, transit service quality, and overall performance.
- Lead in managing Strategic Initiatives’ efforts towards realizing “best practices” (e.g. HR processes, operational work processes, workers’ compensation management, availability management, etc.) in HQ and agency decision-making processes, particularly with regard to responsibly managing operational and administrative costs.
- Work with the BSC to structure and then mine data available through MTA's databases to identify areas of opportunity for more efficient or cost-effective operations. MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Solicit and present data, concepts and issues from a variety of MTA and other data sources (e.g. Internal and external benchmarks, government databases,) to make the case for potential performance improvement opportunities. Design and conduct analysis that led to recommendations to senior leadership and the MTA Board.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Strong interpersonal skills with an established record of successfully completing projects by obtaining group consensus and cooperation among people with no direct reporting relationship to the position.
- Excellent quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills, together with demonstrated proficiency in business case development and implementation planning.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written, with the talent to discern different contexts and audiences and to reach consensus on strategy.
- Must be able to follow through with implementation in a complex organization and assess need for adjustments to achieve success.
- Must be capable of building a strong and successful network, developing new relationships, and influencing decision makers.
- Demonstrated leadership skills in team and/or group settings, including team process and staff development skills Ability to prioritize among competing.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- A minimum of 5-6 years of professional experience. An advanced degree may substitute for 2 years of experience.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the "Commission")
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.