Director, Operational Data Science and Systems
420 Lexington Avenue
$115,568.00 - $151,683.53
Open until filled
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Develop and implement data-driven solutions to improve the efficiency, safety, and reliability of the railroad's operations. Metro-North Railroad (MNR) is pursuing major upgrades of asset and transportation management system that will provide a significant improvement in available data to pursue predictive and prescriptive analytics. This position will establish the vision, processes, and team to provide MNR with actionable data analytics at all organizational levels.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director of Continuous Improvement, this position is responsible to recruit, mentor, and lead a team of data analysts and work closely with other departments to identify areas for improvement, develop analytics tools and techniques, and present recommendations to senior management.
- Lead the development and implementation of analytics projects to improve railroad operations, such as train scheduling, crew management, and equipment maintenance.
- Manage and develop a team providing guidance, training, and coaching to ensure high-quality work output.
- Collaborate with MNR and MTA departments to develop integrated analytics solutions that align with the company's strategic goals. Partner with MTA/IT to design the optimal data architecture for leveraging Enterprise Asset Management and operations data for real-time and life-cycle decision making.
- Identify key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure operational performance, such as on-time performance, ridership, and maintenance costs. Design and develop dashboards and reports to provide insights into operational performance, monitor KPIs, and track progress against goals.
- Use advanced analytics techniques, such as machine learning and predictive modeling, to identify trends and patterns in operational data and develop insights that inform decision-making. Ensure data quality and integrity and help develop data governance policies and procedures with MNR/MTA stakeholders to maintain the accuracy and consistency of operational data.
- Manage Metro-North Railroad’s operational interface with MTA/IT on all MNR data systems. Leads MNR team and department stakeholders in implementing Agile to achieve efficient results.
- Champion a sensor-based, data-driven operation and partner with departments to implement these solutions in current and future systems.
- Stay abreast with the latest trends and best practices in data analytics, transportation, and railroad operations, and applying this knowledge to improve the railroad's operations. Represent the company in industry associations and conferences to stay current with industry trends and best practices. Build relationships with external partners and vendors, such as software and technology providers, to ensure the railroad has access to the latest tools and technologies.
- Direct and control operating expenses and cost control measures. Ensure compliance with corporate policy and with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership skills with the ability to foster teamwork and self-motivated employees.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated problem solving, analytical and administrative skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including excellent presentation skills with the ability to effectively communicate with Senior Management, MNR Departments, MTA HQ’s, Government and Community officials.
- Complete understanding of descriptive, diagnostic, predictive, and prescriptive analytics. Experience with process mining or engineering.
- Business Intelligence, data management and data mining experience.
- Working experience with varied and complex data sets building extract transform load processes using scripting language.
- Experience with data-centric tools and technologies. Such as data lineage, dictionaries, and common data access.
- Experience with curating, organizing, and classifying data.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and manage complex projects in a fast-paced atmosphere.
- Excellent ability to coordinate the work and resources of several departments to accomplish shared goals.
- Excellent ability to define and direct data analysis projects. Understand the interplay of operational KPIs, data, and techniques to collect, and impacts.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, and/or comparable applications.
- May be required to respond to emergencies 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Must have valid Driver’s License.
The following is/are preferred:
- Familiarity with SQL, Python, Cognos, PowerBI, Tableau, R, CPLEX, Hexagon, Bentley Linear Analytics, ESRI, and other systems used to analyze data.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Data Science, operations research, Transportation Engineering, Computer science, statistics, computational mathematics, or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience, education and/or technical credentials to include four (4) additional years of related experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum of ten (10) years of experience with increasing responsibility in a business environment with knowledge of transportation, project management, technology and/or related fields.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience managing a diverse workforce.
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link.
Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.