Senior Engineer – Design
420 Lexington Avenue
$89,892.00 - $117,983.25
|Open Until Filled
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Provide design support services for capital and non-capital Power improvement projects system wide. Assistant Power Operations with design related support.
- Review consultant design drawings and specifications for compliance with department standards and industry codes.
- Review contractor shopping drawings and catalog cuts for compliance with the contract construction documents.
- Compile/create/maintain a library of standards and specifications for Power Department standard apparatuses.
- Research and implement railroad standards and specifications.
- Ensure codes and standards are applied to all construction designs.
- Coordinate technical information among Design, Manufacture and Installation Teams.
- Maintain and organize filing structure for the Power Department as-built drawing databases.
- Must have strong working knowledge and understanding of AC and DC traction power systems, AC and DC traction distribution systems and their related sub-systems.
- Competent understanding of electrical codes and standards, OSHA standards and utility practices.
- Must be proficient on AutoCad computer software and engineering drafting protocols.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Acrobat Pro.
- Strong verbal& written communication skills with the ability to speak effectively in a group setting.
- Ability to manage multi-faceted projects and adhere to deadlines.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to provide engineering design solutions to complex problems.
- Strong analytical skills and problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex technical issues.
- Familiarity with Critical Path Method (CPM) scheduling, and/or comparable systems.
- Must have strong project management skills to develop project scope, progress schedules and budget estimates.
- Ability to be self-motivated and to work well with a diverse management/agreement employee workforce.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be available 24/7.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering or Electrical Engineering Technology.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience with traction power related position.
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience managing projects.
The following is/are preferred, but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
- Professional Engineer License.
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link.
Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.