Title: Dedicated Announcer (HOURLY)
First Date of Posting: 12/16/2022
Last Date of Filing: open to filled
Division/Unit: Service Delivery/ Customer Communication
Reports to: Dedicated Announcers Supervisors
Location: Various Subdivision “B” Towers
Hours of Work: Various Tours
Dedicated Announcers provide status updates regarding service disruptions to Subway riders. They provide rerouted service information by utilizing their knowledge of the system. They gather real-time incident-related information from their peers in the Rail Control Center and process it into an organized, understandable format. They then translate that information to the riding public as needed. The key objective of the Dedicated Announcers Program is to provide customers with timely information essential to their travel.
Salaries will remain the same.
In addition to making such knowledgeable and service-oriented announcements in response to a substantial number of incidents daily, Dedicated Announcers are also expected to perform the following tasks between announcements:
- Continuously monitor train movement along the board to detect announcement-worth conditions, such as inconsistent headways, and in turn provide a checks-and-balances accountability measure for Console Train Dispatchers.
- Prepare “Announcement Scripts” for upcoming planned service disruptions (e.g., General Orders) in coordination with the General Orders (GO) team.
Education and Experience
ELIGIBILITY: NYCT Conductors and NYCT Tower Operators with six months of service, are eligible to apply.
- Enthusiastic, professional speaking voice
- Knowledge of NYCT transit rules and regulations
- Knowledge of NYC subway service
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills
- Experience with MS Office
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
All appointments, with the exception of Department of Subways’ employees on MaBSTOA payroll, will be made on the NYCT payroll.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.