POSTING NO.: 3969
JOB TITLE: Sheetmetal Worker
DEPT/DIV: M of E
Full/Part Time: Full
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
SHEETMETAL WORKERS fabricate, remove, install and repair sheet metal up to 13 gauge on all types of railroad rolling stock.
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Cutting, threading, installing and removing pipes ranging in size from one-quarter inch to two and one-half inches on the rolling stock.
- Fabricating and installing copper tubing ranging in size from one-quarter to seven-eighths of an inch.
- Performing periodic equipment inspections as well as completing required paperwork in compliance with Metro-North, State and Federal regulations.
- May also include performing repairs to Railcar lavatories and septic systems.
- Must have High School Diploma or equivalent or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC), AND,
- Vocational or apprentice training
- A minimum of two (2) years prior sheet-metal and/or pipefitter experience will be considered in lieu of vocational or apprentice training.
- Previous sheet-metal or pipefitting experience.
- Welding, fabrication experience.
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES
- Mechanical knowledge: knowledge of, and ability to use Sheet Metal tools; ability to read ruler measurements; basic arithmetic skills; verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills; ability to follow instructions; ability to work in teams; general safety practice knowledge; knowledge of operating and safety rules and standards; must be safety conscious
- Must have personal tool box with Sheet Metal tools
- Internal candidates are required to become qualified for the position within 15 days of bidding the position
Rate of Pay
The starting rate for this position is $27.76 (70% of the full rate). The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=70% > Year 2=70% > Year 3=75% > Year 4=80% > Year 5=85% > Year 6=85% > Year 7=90% > Year 8=100%. The full 100% rate of pay is $39.65.
This rate has been established by the SMW collective bargaining unit and is non-negotiable.
An exception may be granted for a journeyman rate to anyone who has one of the following:
- Completed a four-year, bona fide sheet metal workers’, plumbers’ or pipefitters’ apprenticeship program, OR
- Has had four (4) years of full-time practical experience in the craft and can provide proof thereof (by means of a card or certificate).
For those approved for a journeyman rate, the wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1= $31.72 Year 2&3 = 33.70 Year 4= $35.68 Year 5 = $39.65 full rate of pay.
MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans
Applicants will establish seniority in the Sheet Metal Workers International Union (SMWIA) in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of the SMWIA are subject to an initiation fee and monthly union dues.
Must have the ability to work various hours, days, and shifts and locations (Stamford and New Haven CT, North White Plains, Croton Harmon and Brewster, NY).
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $105,472.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
DETAILS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Must be able to lift and carry tools and materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Must be able to climb ladders and steps to board equipment.
DETAILS OF WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Works in all areas of various shops including outside during inclement weather.
- Works on rolling stock at heights up to 15 feet above ground level.
- May work at heights up to 50 feet performing shop maintenance.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.