B&B Mechanic- Mason
M of W
October 18, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
MASONS are responsible for performing concrete, block/brick and marble building work in order to maintain and repair Metro-North stations, bridges, platforms and work facilities.
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Mix mortar and cement by hand or using electric mixer for the purpose of construction or repair needs on job site
- Spread, level, and smooth concrete surfaces using a shovel, screed, trowel, and float for preventing water intrusion, cosmetic and structural repairs
- Repair or lay-up brick and concrete blocks of multiple sizes to form walls, structures, dividers, foundations, etc
- Break or cut bricks or blocks to size using a hammer and chisel
- Repair and lay down asphalt blacktop for walkways and parking lots in yard and train stations
- Repair and install ceramic, stone, or floor design tiles in train stations, buildings and work facilities
- Cut and shape tile for proper fittings around obstacles using a tile saw, tile cutter, nippers or drills
- Cut, surface, polish, install and repair marble units
- Repair plaster walls and ceilings in train stations and welfare buildings using trowels
- Remove and replace worn tactile plates on train platforms for customer and employee safety and cosmetic purposes
- Transport material, tools, and equipment to job sites, manually, or using conveyance equipment
- Clear snow from station platforms and train yards using shovels, snow blowers, and salt spreaders to ensure the safety of passengers and employees
- Other duties as assigned in the scope of B&B Mechanic
- Minimum of a High School Diploma, General Equivalency Diploma (GED) or Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC)
- Vocational or apprentice training in masonry, OR a minimum two (2) years of experience performing masonry work
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Mechanical knowledge
- Knowledge of, and ability to use masonry tools
- Ability to work with others
- Ability to accurately measure distances using a ruler; ability to read ruler and tape measurements
- Knowledge of building and construction practices
- Basic arithmetic skills
- Ability to anticipate and analyze problems and take corrective actions
- Customer service oriented
- Verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills
- Ability to follow instructions
- Ability to work in teams
- General safety practice knowledge
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Knowledge of operating and safety rules and standards
- Must be safety conscious
- Must possess a valid NYS Class D Driver’s License or equivalent
- Must have personal tool box with Masonry tools
- Must be respirator qualified or be able to become respirator qualified
Rate of pay
The starting rate for this position is $24.98 (70% of the full rate). The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=70% > Year 2=75% > Year 3=80% > Year 4=85% > Year 5=90% > Year 6=100%. The full 100% rate of pay is $38.43 per hour.
This rate has been established by the collective bargaining unit and is non-negotiable.
An exception may be granted for a journeyman rate to anyone who has one of the following:
Has completed a four-year, bona fide mason apprenticeship program
Has had four (4) years of full-time practical experience in the craft and can provide proof thereof (by means of a card or certificate).
For those approved for a journeyman rate, the wage progression scale is as follows: 80>90>100% of the full rate of pay.
.MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection, and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans
New employees will establish seniority in the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT), the union representing Painters, in accordance with the union's current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of IBT are subject to an initiation fee and monthly membership dues.
Must have the ability to work various hours, days and shifts and locations throughout Metro-North territory.
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $108,638.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Physical Activities include but are not limited to the following:
- Ability to lift and carry tools and material weighing up to 50 pounds on a regular basis and occasionally up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces while navigating tracks and yard locations.
- Pushing and pulling ability when mixing mortar and cement by hand.
- Talking and hearing ability required to communicate with coworkers and supervisors.
Working Conditions include but are not limited to the following:
- Working outside exposed to various weather conditions from extreme heat to extreme cold.
- Working at heights up to 40 feet on scaffolds, ladders and JLG lifts.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.