Quality Control Supervisor
Track & Structures
$79,548.00 - $104,406.75
Open Until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
The position is responsible to evaluate Process and Procedures in use in the Maintenance of Equipment (M of E) Department Compliance Audit Program. The position will audit, monitor, and maintain control of internal and external manufacturing and maintenance practices, as well as compliance to contract specifications. This position supports continuous improvement initiatives via audits, failure analysis, surveys and recommends process improvements to positively impact M of E Department performance and cost.
- Perform ISO based auditing and monitoring of M of E maintenance processes including off property overhaul or maintenance of MNR passenger equipment. Ensure compliance with APTA, FRA, applicable regulatory codes, MNR Periodic and Preventative Maintenance Plans, Policies, Procedures and M of E standards.
- Execute ISO based auditing methods to ensure and report on compliance to applicable standards. for internal and external component remanufacture. Perform first article inspections, new vendor development and audit adherence to controlling Procurement agreements. Develop reports of audit results, publish findings and make recommendations to positively impact M of E maintenance costs and quality.
- Support Warranty Claims and Material Return to Vendor (MRV), warranty protocol and Field Service Reporting (FSR) processes. Provide and ensure accuracy of source data for Component Analysis system on internal and external Repair and Return (R&R) components. Where applicable, publish findings and make recommendations to positively impact M of E maintenance costs and quality and the warranty process for MNR passenger equipment.
- Support M of E continuous improvement initiatives by participating and leading Failure Trend Analysis and fleet assessments. Ensure compliance to contract specifications, overhaul and technical specifications, maintenance and repair standards, and M of E process and policy documentation. Prepare reports of audit results with recommendations to improve M of E performance and efficiency.
- Position may be required to work various shifts and locations as assigned to support a 24-hour day/, 7 days a week operation. Will be on call and respond to emergencies as required.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to foster teamwork.
- Ability to lead a Quality Control / Quality Assurance operation.
- Ability to successfully implement large scale/systemic change.
- Diverse leadership skills
- Auditing skills, Maintenance Operations or Manufacturing auditing knowledge of widely accepted standards (ISO 9000 or similar)
- Strong management and organizational skills to plan, direct, control and implement policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of heavy industry maintenance practices and strong technical, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely across all levels of organization.
- Strong supervisory and organizational skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Office Suite and/or compatible applications.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
The following is/are preferred:
- Working knowledge of Transportation industry operations and familiarity with Code of Federal Regulations
- Experience with Total Quality Management, Lean Manufacturing, Continuous Improvement, Six Sigma and other lean methodologies.
- Experience partnering and working with suppliers or vendors · Internal Auditor Certification
Education and Experience:
- Associate Degree in Electrical Engineering/Technology preferred. Demonstrated equivalent experience, education and/or technical credentials to equal an additional two years of experience may be considered in lieu of degree.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in repairing/diagnosing electric EMU and/or Coach equipment.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience of working in manufacturing, industrial or maintenance operations with exposure on quality, warranty, or process management engineering.
- Experience in quality engineering and management, industrial quality control, quality functions within organizations, ISO 9000 quality standards
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link.
Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.