Job ID: 3834
Business Unit: MTA Headquarters
Location: New York, NY, United States
Department: Federal Emp Liability Act
Date Posted: Sep 29, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $85,000-$94,500
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
This position is responsible to perform in-depth investigations, evaluate, negotiate, and process claims brought against the LIRR. These include employee injuries, MTA police injury claims, passenger injury and false arrest claims, property damage claims, Railroad Protective and OCIP claims, and subrogation claims against third parties. Provide investigative trial preparation assistance to the Law Department and outside counsel involving lawsuits vs LIRR and MTA. Claim Agents, Senior Claim Agents & Litigation Agents are Third Party Administrators in matters covered under the MTA Station and Force Account Liability Insurance Program.
- Investigate, analyze, and evaluate factual information concerning insured and uninsured matters. Secure accident information through various internal & external sources, such as witnesses, medical providers, witnesses, claimant’s departmental supervisors, outside resources, NYS DMV, Lexus Nexus, etc.
- Interview and secure statements from party and non-party witnesses, investigate accident scenes and perform site inspections, take photographs and measurements. Confer with NYPD, SCPD, NCPD, FDNY, local fire departments/fire marshals regarding incidents that occur on LIRR property.
- Secure and review medical reports, confirm accident status & authorization for diagnostic testing and process employee injury medical invoices.
- Participate in investigating suspected employees’ theft of time and/or possible fraud (FMLA, sick leave, etc.) Provide findings to LIRR departments and trial offices for appropriate disciplinary action for D/A or D/S related violations. Testify and assist at disciplinary hearings/trials.
- Enable the facilitation of System Safety investigations by providing claim investigation results within the confines of legal privileged confidentiality. Confer with and assist in FRA, PTSB, PESH & NTSB Investigations and Audits. Confer with and assist the Inspector General’s Office in investigations and criminal prosecution. Confer with and assist in NY State, NY State Comptroller, MTA and Consultant Audits.
- Evaluate and arrange for specialized consultants and expert witnesses to assist in the defense of a claim/lawsuit.
- Prepare correspondence and memoranda relating to claims, such as Case Summaries, Requests for Authority, letters, memos, and emails. When appropriate, negotiate claim settlements within authorized authority.
- Conduct investigations at the request of MTA Legal Dept. Coordinate with NYS District Attorneys’ Offices in prosecuting criminal activity that occurs on LIRR property (fare-beaters, vandals, thefts, assault, etc.).
- Assist attorneys in trial preparation by arranging for exhibits, evidence and witness appearances in court. Serve subpoenas and testify in Federal and State court, as well as LIRR company court. Appear at court conferences with settlement authority to negotiate with plaintiffs’ attorneys and Judges.
- Must be available to conduct investigation, report to accident scenes and perform site inspections on a 24/7 basis at all locations. Must annually attend RWP (Roadway Worker Protection) classes. Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures.
- Aggressively investigate, pursue, negotiate and settle third-party claims against those who cause damage to LIRR property. Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example. Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
- Train & Supervise Claim Agents. Lead by example.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Must have knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy & physiology.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of FELA, General Liability, Auto Liability & Public Authorities Law.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license from the state of your official residence.
- Must have access to a vehicle.
- Must be available 24/7 to respond to accidents.
- Must be a competent typist (minimum of 25 words per minute).
- Proficiency to generate accurate, detailed reports based upon claim analysis and evaluation of compiled investigative data.
- Proficiency in and/or ability to learn communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency in and/or ability to learn organizational and presentation skills.
- Proficiency in and/or ability to learn to work with all internal levels within a given organization.
- Proficiency in and/or ability to learn communicate and interact well with external agencies.
- Proficiency in and/or ability to learn completing short- and long-term projects effectively and as efficiently as possible.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Criminal Justice, Business or related field. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of degree, with approval
- Minimum Approximately 3 years recent, related experience in insurance, claims and/or investigations.
- Must be track-qualified (RWP).
- Must be bonded and possess a NYS Independent Adjuster’s License.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Familiarity with the ISO System, Lexus Nexus and other related claims software is a plus.
- Attainment of or in the process of attaining specific functional licenses or certifications in area of specialty if applicable.
- Attainment of or in the process of attaining P.E. license from New York State.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s collective bargaining procedures.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.