JOB TITLE: Talent Acquisition Specialist
SALARY RANGE: $60,429 - $79,314
HAY POINTS: 333
DEPT/DIV: People – Talent Acquisition
SUPERVISOR: Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition
LOCATION: 180 Livingston Street
HOURS OF WORK: 9:00 am - 5:30 pm (7 1/2 hours/day)
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
With a focus on human resources planning and fulfilling the MTA's long-term business and hiring needs, the Talent Acquisition Specialist is a member of the People organization responsible for sourcing, attracting, interviewing, and onboarding talent both into and within the MTA. Partners with various stakeholders in the People Department and hiring departments to source and fill managerial, administrative, clerical, operational, and skilled craft positions.
In addition, working within prescribed guidelines, policies, and procedures this role will partner with the Compensation team to make salary offers to all internal and external non-represented and certain represented selected candidates.
- Performs the full range of recruitment activities to source and fill managerial, administrative, clerical, professional, operational, and skilled craft positions. The duties include, but are not limited to, utilizing job descriptions to create job postings, review and qualify resumes, pre-screen candidates, and coordinate and participate in interview panels. Additionally, generate salary proposals, conduct reference checks, coordinate background verifications aligned with company processes, manage follow-up communications, and prepare offer letters.
- Works closely with hiring departments and managers to determine their recruitment needs and ensure their staffing needs are satisfied. Develops and executes an end-to-end hiring strategy for assigned departments or clients. Devises and implements sourcing strategies to build pipelines of qualified candidates. Source qualified candidates Leveraging several recruitment platforms such as Indeed, LinkedIn, Dice, and media plans. Researches and recommends new sources for active and passive candidate recruiting. Continually develops networks/partnerships to build pipelines of candidates actively. Partner closely with and follow up with hiring managers to determine recruitment efforts' effectiveness and communicate updates on recruiting efforts and hiring needs.
- Works with hiring departments and managers to prepare media plans for hard-to-fill, critical positions. Coordinates with the Sourcing and Social Media team in Talent Acquisition to place and update job postings on various media outlets, including internet/intranet sites, colleges, social networks, community boards, and other staffing partners.
- Ensures a positive candidate and new hire experience. Provide clear instructions and set expectations for candidates and interviewers. Effectively communicates with applicants and selected candidates, ensuring that they receive proper guidance and direction throughout the entire process. Follow up promptly to address inquiries with internal and external applicants or selected candidates.
- Research and participate in the most relevant career fairs, local job fairs, and professional events. Participate and represent the MTA at various job fairs and career events to fill positions and build robust, viable candidate pipelines. Provides job information to prospective applicants and conducts interviews during on-site career events.
- Generate queries and various recruiting reports to track open, active recruitment efforts. Update and maintain the Talent Acquisition Management pages in our applicant tracking system. Maintain efficient and appropriate records relating to recruitment activities, including file management. Ensure compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws, regulations, and agency policies.
- Maintain and promote company policies and procedures pertaining to the recruitment process established.
- Continually identify new opportunities for key process improvement initiatives that help improve the recruiting strategy.
- Ensure a best-in-class candidate experience with transparency, timely follow-up, and communication.
- Working within prescribed guidelines, policies, and procedures this role will partner with the Compensation team to make salary offers to all internal and external non-represented and certain represented selected candidates.
- Special projects and other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Building candidate pipelines for complex and hard-to-fill positions such as skilled crafts.
- Effectively negotiating salaries with external candidates in a highly competitive market.
- Effectively managing multiple recruitments in an environment where there are limited staffing resources.
- Effectively managing the demands of various hiring managers.
- Working within prescribed guidelines, policies and procedures for salary offers to internal and external candidates is quite challenging given the financial condition of the MTA and economic factors in the external environment.
- Has limited level of authority for decision making, which is subject to approval by departmental management. Decision-making authority over their immediate responsibilities is routine or semi-routine with some diversification and occurs within established, detailed practices and instructions and/or with immediately available assistance.
- May perform analysis and research. Reports findings to immediate supervisor. May be involved with quality assurance reviews as directed by immediate supervisor.
- Exercises proper judgment in responding to inquiries while referring more complex issues to the appropriate individuals within the department.
- Supports implementation of policies and procedures for the department’s group. Does not make recommendations for policy and procedural changes without final approval from the Chief.
- Does not provide input into overall strategy for the department.
- Must have hands-on experience with full-cycle recruitment.
- Knowledge of various recruiting techniques with the ability to identify, attract and source hard-to-find passive talent using different niche sites/channels such as LinkedIn, Indeed and other social media.
- Knowledge and understanding of building talent pipelines across multiple candidate sourcing platforms. Ability to consult, manage, influence a range of stakeholders while building and maintaining strong partnerships with hiring leaders.
- Must have proven ability to effectively “sell” an organization’s value proposition and benefits package.
- An understanding of staffing principles and employment and state labor laws.
- Excellent written communications skills to write effective job postings and media ads.
- Excellent interviewing, networking, interpersonal, and communication and customer service skills
- Good understanding of HR databases, applicant tracking systems, and candidate management systems; proficiency in PeopleSoft is a plus.
- Excellent time management, multi-tasking, and organizational skills with the ability to prioritize competing demands.
- Experience partnering with agency leaders and business partners to drive recruitment processes.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment. Strong work ethic and sense of integrity, trustworthiness, and confidentiality.
- Proficiency in or the ability to learn how to communicate and interact well with external agencies.
- Experience using various interview techniques and evaluation methods.
- Strategic, dynamic, enthusiastic, and quick to take initiative.
- Experience training team members effectively on recruitment processes
- Ability to create or generate ad-hoc recruitment reports upon request.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Associate Degree in Human Resources or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience from an accredited college may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum 2 years related HR experience in recruitment/talent acquisition.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field. Attainment of or in the process of attaining specific functional licenses or certifications in area of specialty if applicable.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s policies and procedures.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s collective bargaining procedures.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the "Commission")
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.