Engineer PTC Office Software
M of W- PTC Office
Grand Central Terminal
$79,548.00 - $104,406.75
October 11, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
The Engineer – Positive Train Control (PTC) Office will be involved in and support all aspects of the PTC Office subsystem. The Office subsystem includes the Primary Control Center (PCC), Backup Control Center (BCC), Remote Office Workstation locations and the Wayside and Onboard components of the PTC system. The PTC Office is a critical component of the system and is designed to ensure compliance with the 2008 Rail Safety Act. This position will be responsible for the operation, maintenance, and continued engineering development of the PTC Office.
- Provide engineering, design, evaluation, and support for the PTC Office. Work with the system engineering team to review and approve all development of the Office components, ensuring that requirements are met. Gain a full understanding of the functions of the Software and Data Maintenance Facility (SDMF) used to develop, test, document, configure, maintain, and modify the system. Coordinate with the System engineering team for the installation and commissioning of the Office equipment.
- Work with the system engineering team and with Operations to ensure the timely and complete development of all required functions of the User Interface System (UIS), Data & Maintenance System (DMS) and Network Management System (NMS). Gain a full understanding of the functions and activities performed in each of the operational applications. Understand and support the roles and responsibilities in the Office operation – System Administrator, Database Administrator, RTC, Chief RTC, Assistant RTC, DTOBO Operator and System Maintainer.
- Design develop, test, implement and document software installation. Provide support for all software changes to systems and troubleshooting, software-related systems failures with both office and field employees.
- Review project and operational system technical and material specifications and network drawings. Conduct version control audits and manage systems backup and restores capabilities.
- Provide troubleshooting assistance to field personnel regarding the deployed PTC equipment.
- Support Network and Configuration Management personnel.
- Evaluate, update, schedule and track progress and cost status. Report on project status and initiate corrective action to achieve project objectives.
- Provide a lead in supporting Metro-North Safety Program through the execution of required activities and policies associated with personnel working along or on the railroad right-of-way and other locations.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong working knowledge of LAN and WAN technologies and routing protocols and Ethernet and TCP/IP network design and deployment.
- Knowledge of telecommunication copper and fiber plants.
- Knowledge of network security systems and applications.
- Understanding of hardware and software development and the lifecycle process.
- Understanding of Configuration Management.
- Experience with Linux and Windows system administration Experience with the functions of railroad Control Center Operations.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or comparable applications. Knowledge of network configuration and design
- Ability to implement and manage service and equipment database inventory.
- Strong analytical skills to analyze new and existing products, equipment and/or procedures.
- Must be able to recommend improvements or replacements to better support the office systems.
- Must be able to work in a high-profile/high-pressure environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with internal departments and outside agencies.
- Must be able to implement and participate in Metro-North Railroad’s Priority One Safety Program
- 24-hours 7 days availability required.
- Valid driver’s license.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience with programming languages (C,C++, Python, SQL Server), client server and software applications.
- Two (2) years’ experience with operations systems-(Microsoft Windows 10, Windows Server 2019, UNIX)
- One (1) year experience with management, installation, and maintenance of computer systems.
The following is/are preferred, but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
- Professional Engineering License
- Experience with facility design and construction
- CCNA certification
- Knowledge of cab signal and advanced train and traffic control technology and system configurations
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.