Title: Senior Manager of Corporate Project Safety Compliance
Department: Corporate Safety
Post Date: 09/25/2023
Close Date: 10/06/2023
Hay Point Evaluation: 789
Salary Range: $100,538 – $131,956
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Deputy Chief Safety Officer, Compliance and Investigations
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
This position is responsible for the safety management oversight of all operating and capitally funded projects on LIRR property. This position will provide project safety assurance through the review, oversight, and direction of corporate safety department resources, and inter-departmental coordination. The incumbent will identify and resolve all safety issues and concerns through managed coordination of the project stakeholders through the entire lifecycle of the project. Coordinate, manage and provide critical project safety information to all involved parties and attend or, as applicable, chair regular, breakout, and ad hoc meetings to identify and resolve safety issues. Approves safety plans and ensures that the project is executed in the most efficient, expedient manner possible through identifying and resolving safety issues as early in the process as possible. Manage change control as it relates to safety impacts. Manage the safety resolution process by ensuring coordinated stakeholder input allowing for the feasible operation of the railroad and project completion.
- Ensure that all potential safety issues of all contract/project work on the property including but not limited to force account, capital, and third party are accounted for during the entire lifecycle of projects/programs/contracts so that they are promptly detected and remedied at inception and through to completion.
- Perform and coordinate through reviews and evaluations of all project documentation for potential safety issues, including but not limited to manufacturer’s submissions, technical specifications, design submittals, drawings, site plans, design changes, and participation in the approval process, ensure safe work practices are implemented to provide safe working conditions and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures.
- Perform and coordinate thorough reviews of Health and Safety Programs/Safe Work Plans for compliance with Federal and Local rules and regulations, consensus standards, and for conformance with MTA and LIRR rules during all phases of projects, including design reviews and inspection activities to ensure an appropriate level of safety is incorporated into existing and proposed projects via coordination with Department of Project Management (DPM), third party vendors/contractors, LIRR senior management, directors, construction managers, project managers, safety managers, and department heads.
- In support of the LIRR technology implementation plan, monitor for new, available, or novel railroad safety technology that may mitigate risks to railroad safety as identified in the risk analysis for each project and program. Participates in new technology evaluation committee meetings to consider implementing new technologies in each project/program ensuring that all potential safety issues at the interfaces of all rail road system elements are accounted for during the entire lifecycle of projects/programs.
- Responsible for performing and evaluating active and passive project safety oversight with the authority to stop work, and under extreme circumstances, ban individuals from LIRR property until unmitigated and unacceptable safety hazards are resolved.
- In coordination with the Senior Manager- Safety Management Systems, implements the corporate safety certification program for all assigned projects.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Eliminate or reduce project related hazards that would affect the safety of LIRR employees, customers, the general public, contractors, equipment, or property through the review of corporate projects including drawings, plans and HASPs etc., providing hazard identifications and recommendations for mitigations and verifying the implementation and effectiveness of those recommendations.
- Ensure that all potential safety issues at the interfaces of all rail road system elements are accounted for during the entire lifecycle of assigned projects / programs so that they are promptly detected by managing appropriate review/comment. Ensure appropriate interpretation/delegation of respective issues/documents for review/comment to appropriate LIRR personnel and from external departments as necessary. Manage the implementation of coordinated efforts to meet the requirements of the projects. This includes participation in oversight of the manufacturers on behalf of LIRR to ensure that systems are built in compliance with the safety elements per the technical specification. Provides safety certification verification reporting. Participates on new technology evaluation committee meetings to consider implementing new technologies in each project / program ensuring that all potential safety issues at the interfaces of all rail road system elements are accounted for during the entire lifecycle of projects / programs.
- Perform/coordinate and assign site visits to ensure general safety of employees, contractors, customers, general public, equipment, property, and safe work practices are complied with and all applicable laws, regulations, safety plans, policies and procedures are conformed with. Report and track project/program progress, with deficiencies documented, and recommendations made to mitigate them with appropriate coordination with CSD personnel. Resolve any safety issues reported by the contractor or force account workforce. Ensure investigations and reporting on all incidents/accidents that occur on projects with appropriate coordination with CSD personnel. Ensure all contractors have been properly trained to work on LIRR property per applicable policy/regulations.
- Coordinate community outreach and RWP compliance associated with projects.
- Review and assist in developing and organizing all relevant documents, including reports, drawings, design reviews, training records, contractor resumes, safety data sheets, site safety plans, lift/crane plans, project plans, construction documentation, project schedules, etc.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example. Work and execute in a cross functional team environment.
- Perform other assignments as requested by Executive Management.
- Bachelor's Degree in Safety, Environmental, Engineering, Business, Project Management or related field. Demonstrated, directly related equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must possess excellent computer skills including executing software packages to include MS Project, other project management software and the entire MS Office Suite.
- Must possess 5 years in recent safety project assurance experience in successfully overseeing large scale projects and programs while working across functional lines.
- Must have working knowledge of tracking and monitoring of projects.
- Must possess prior supervisory experience and ability to effectively coordinate and manage delegations of various aspects of the project.
- Demonstrated, strong analytical and evaluative, decision making and problem solving skills, with a high degree of integrity and strong work ethic.
- Must possess demonstrated and effective management skills including strong organizational skills and the ability to keep accurate documentation.
- Superior oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to perform trend analysis, root cause analysis and risk reduction analysis using a variety of techniques.
- Ability to review/comment on drawings (schematics, prints, as built, floor plans, construction, utility layouts).
- Ability to review/comment on health and safety plans and design reviews.
- Experience working with and applying Federal and Local codes/regulations, especially DOT, FRA, FTA, FCC, PTSB, and OSHA, PESH regulations.
- Valid Driver’s License.
Advanced Degree in Project Management, Engineering or related discipline.
Associate in Risk Management, Certified Industrial Hygienist, Construction Health and Safety Technician, Certified Safety Professional, Professional Engineer, Project Management Institute credentials.
30 Hour OSHA construction and general Industry certified.
Familiarity with construction methods, techniques and installation plans.
Familiarity with NYS Code requirements.
Familiarity with Program Management processes, policies and procedures, and railroad operations.
Familiarity with System Safety Program Plans.
Familiarity with Corporate Safety Certification Programs.
Familiarity with Corporate Safety Rules and Policies.
Familiarity with Mass Transportation Operating Rules.
Familiarity with operating department work practices.
Working knowledge of collective bargaining agreements and work rules.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.