Metropolitan Transportation Authority Office of the Inspector General
Salary: $88,230 - $110,288
Agency: Office of the Inspector General/ Metropolitan Transportation Authority
Location: New York City, New York
Hours: 37.5 per week; Full-Time – 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (7.5 hours/day)
The Office of the MTA Inspector General:
The Office of the MTA Inspector General (MTA/OIG) is a New York State Authority created as an independent oversight entity to review the operations of the MTA and its constituent agencies: the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR), Metro-North Commuter Railroad (MNR), the New York City Transit Authority (NYCTA) and Bridges & Tunnels (B&T). The MTA/OIG performs audits and conducts investigations into complaints from any source, including commuters and members of the public who access our MTA transit system, or upon its own initiative. It is the mission of the MTA/OIG to promote safety, integrity, transparency, economy and efficiency in MTA agencies and programs while also detecting and deterring waste, fraud, abuse and misconduct.
The MTA/OIG includes investigative attorneys, auditors/analyst, investigators, administrative and executive staff.
Under the direction of the Executive Deputy Inspector General for Audit (EDIG/Audit), the Senior Principal Auditor is responsible, within the mandate of the MTA Inspector General, for serving as team lead on multi-faceted audits, planning, conducting, and reporting on assigned questions regarding MTA operations and policy.
- Conducts multiple audits simultaneously, focused on complex, multifaceted topics.
- Evaluates agency or program performance using qualitative and quantitative methods to determine expectations/standards, problems, causal factors, and options to correct.
- Reviews agency processes, procedures, and controls designed to manage and mitigate risk, fraud, waste, and abuse of agency resources.
- Identifies issues and develops a plan to assess their significance.
- Conducts interviews of agency and other personnel and prepares clear and concise interview memoranda.
- Develops appropriate recommendations to improve agency operations, cost-efficiency, and safety.
- Prepares professionally written reports on the areas evaluated.
- Provides leadership, direction, and feedback to junior staff on the team.
- Manages and prioritizes assigned audits to meet project milestones.
- Develops and maintains professional working relationships and continually gains knowledge of evolving MTA and agency operations.
- Works in a team environment to identify issues and develop methodology to assess their significance.
- Analyzes data using a variety of software to identify risks.
- Supports investigative cases with analysis or participates as part of the investigative team, as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by the EDIG/Audit or designee.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution, in fields such as public administration, business, mathematics, data science, economics, accounting, the social sciences, or other related business or operational field. Master’s degree is a plus.
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in performance auditing, evaluation, oversight, or a project management-focused field. Applicant’s work experience sufficiency is evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Knowledge of acceptable audit industry standards, processes, and procedures.
- Demonstrated analytical skills, critical thinking skills, impartial judgment, and research aptitude.
- Excellent oral skills for interviewing, experience a plus.
- Excellent writing skills for documenting interviews, summarizing evaluation findings, and drafting reports.
- Ability to gather and interpret high volumes of complex data.
- Excellent working knowledge of computer application relevant to auditing, including Microsoft Office. Advanced Excel is a plus.
- Ability to handle multiple projects while maintaining careful attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to interact effectively with department and agency staff and senior management.
- Travel within the MTA geographic jurisdiction will be required.
- Working outside of regular business hours may be required.
- Pursuant to authorization by the EDIG/Audit, this position is eligible for tele-working according to office policies.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume and cover letter to: [email protected]