Manager - CTC Software Systems
M of W- C&S/PT
Grand Central Terminal
$79,548.00 - $104,406.75
October 6th, 2023
This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply 30 days after their effective date of hire.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Provide software application development and maintenance for the Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) system. Manage 24/7 maintenance of all Metro-North Railroad’s mission-critical and safety-critical control systems which are used to operate, control, and support all Railroad Operations. This includes the Centralized Traffic Control (CTC) systems for Grand Central Terminal (GCT) and the entire mainline, the Power Control Center systems including Traction power control for third rail and overhead catenary, and PTC control in both the New York Operations Control Center and the Emergency Operations Control Center locations. It also includes Field Vital Processor Interlockings, Fiber-Optics Communications Interface Systems, the Operations Remote View Workstation Network and the Signal Control Desk at the New York Operations Control Center.
Additionally, this position is responsible to manage and coordinate source data and information with Metro-North’s operation, customer communications and business functions. The systems impacted include, vial wayside processors, View Workstations, Customer Information Systems and employee payroll systems.
This position is also responsible for providing design, development installation, and testing associated with the federally mandated Train Control system requirements office mission-critical safety servers and Train Dispatcher control interfaces.
- Provide software design and management for 24/7 engineering and maintenance support and oversight for daily software systems maintenance and management for all Metro-North’s mission-critical and safety-critical real-time operations control systems.
- Provide daily interactions with the Transportation, Vendors, and Power departments in direct support of safety, the rail operation and business plan.
- Ensure timely backup and restore capabilities, data archiving and retrieval management for all mission-critical and safety-critical systems.
- Design, develop, test, implement and document software applications to support various mission-critical requirements and provide version control audits and manage design projects.
- Provide technical support in troubleshooting systems failures with both office and field C&S employees.
- Provide a lead in supporting Metro-North Safety Program through the execution of required activities and policies associated with personnel working along or on the railroad right-of-way and other locations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong knowledge and experience in the integration of digital networks.
- Strong knowledge of operating systems (Windows 10 & Windows Server, UNIX, Linux)
- Strong knowledge of virtual systems management.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and/or comparable applications
- Strong analytical skills in order to analyze new and existing products, equipment and/or procedures.
- Knowledge of computer network and database management.
- Must be able to recommend improvements or replacements to better support the control systems.
- Must be able to work in a high-profile/high-pressure environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with internal departments and outside agencies.
- Must be able to implement and participate in Metro-North Railroad’s Priority One Safety Program.
- 24-hours 7 days availability required.
- Must have a Valid Driver’s License
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related science or Associate’s degree or equivalent in Electrical or Computer Engineering or related science with 2 additional years of demonstrated equivalent experience, education, and/or technical credentials
- Minimum of three (3) years of experience in the management/maintenance of software applications, computer Hardware and Operating Systems such as Windows Servers (2019 or later) and Windows Desktop (Windows 10 or later).
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience with programming languages (C, C++, Python) and client server applications (SQL or Oracle) or similar.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience in project management or supervision of technical work forces
The following is/are preferred, but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
- Strong knowledge of railroad, power and remote-control systems.
- Knowledge of FRA regulations and requirements as they apply to signal systems.
- Experience in control logic used in signal systems power control computer systems.
This is a Federally Regulated position and subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”). Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military