Job ID: 3698
Business Unit: MTA Headquarters
Location: New York, NY, United States
Department: Envirnl Sustain & Compliance
Date Posted: Sep 20, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $135,000-$145,000
HAY POINTS: 954
DEPT/DIV: Environmental, Sustainability & Compliance
SUPERVISOR: Senior Director, Environment Energy & Industry Hygiene
*This position is eligible for telework which is currently one day per week. New hires are eligible to apply for telework 30 days after their effective date of hire.
The major purpose of this position is to have primary responsibility for practicing and promoting effective top-down, proactive Energy Management Leadership at MTA HQ and across all Operating Agencies.
- Select, develop, and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review performance of staff. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
- Managing progress and reporting MTA compliance with Governor’s Executive Orders such as BuildSmart NY 2025, Green NY, Clean Energy Programs, directing state agencies and authorities to improve energy efficiency and reduce energy use by 2025.
- Manage MTA Demand Reduction Program, providing stability to the electric grid during periods of high demand and generating income for MTA operating agencies who are paid program participation incentives based upon curtailment event commitments, by utilities and the grid operator. The participating Agencies are also paid an additional fee for every kilowatt (kW) curtailed during a Disaster/Recovery event.
- Provide Agency guidance with New York Power Authority (NYPA) interactions, benefits assessments and resulting energy projects associated with the MTA/NYPA Master Services Agreement.
- Nurture and guide the development, management, benefits assessments, and execution of energy efficiency projects throughout the MTA.
- Support Energy Technologies and Innovations to assist in identifying potentially beneficial energy efficiency projects.
- Assist with site assessments and feasibility studies for energy efficiency projects.
- Analyze energy and cost data relating to ongoing and proposed energy efficiency projects.
- Prepare presentations, memos, and reports.
- Assist in identifying funding opportunities, preparing grant proposals, managing grants and project budgets.
- Perform other duties as required to function as part of the team in carrying out the overall effort and mission of the MTA.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- General knowledge of and demonstrated interest in environmental compliance and policies.
- General knowledge of and demonstrated interest in energy efficiency and energy policy.
- Good database and data management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, etc.) and other analytical and communications tools
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and to collaborate with other units and agencies.
- Ability to work and deliver under demanding timelines.
- Understanding of environmental policy, and energy concepts
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Planning or a related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of a degree. Master’s degree in environmental science, public health, project management, engineering or related fields may be substituted for 2 years of experience.
- Minimum 10 years related experience, including at least 4 years in a department head and/or managerial and/or leadership role in a large, multi-faceted, fast-paced organization or governmental body preferred.
- Experience with Excel spreadsheet and database programs and tools.
- Master’s degree in a related field.
- Experience with public transit operations and project management is a plus.
- Public sector experience.
- Familiarity with the MTA’s policies and procedures.
- This position will also provide services for the department’s Strategic Planning and Policy, support for Environment/Energy/ Climate Action, and Reporting.
- May need to work outside of normal work hours (i.e., evenings and weekends).
- Travel may be required to other MTA locations or other external sites.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.