Title: Project Engineer
Post Date: 09/20/2023
Close Date: 10/03/2023
Hay Point Evaluation: N/A
100% Hourly Rate of Pay: $51.62* (See Wage Progression Chart)
Position Classification: Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Managing Engineer - Civil Inspections
Union Affiliation: Brotherhood of Railroad Signalman - Local 241
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Responsible for protecting the interests of the LIRR during construction projects or operations being performed by outside contractors. Actively participate in construction management to mitigate the LIRR’s exposure to delays and or claims of any nature. Review submittals, comments and prepare correspondence as necessary for all third-party project work. Perform inspections and prepare reports of LIRR Physical plant structures.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Perform daily inspection of New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT), New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT) and Third-Party Contractor operations, which are on or adjacent to LIRR Right of Way (ROW). Perform LIRR line structures investigation and inspection.
- Coordinate all Contractor operations, which effect train operations. Order required level o of flag protection to protect LIRR. Review submittals and prepare response, Force Account (F/A) estimate, agreement and utility mark out coordination as required. Review and approve pre-bills provided by LIRR Accounting Dept.
- Perform tasks as requested by Sr. Management, including but not limited to inspection of line structures and stations, report writing, document review, emergency inspections, attend meetings, and accident investigations.
- Run all aspects of any assigned maintenance contracts and any other special work. Assist in preparation of contract documents. Manage all work from contract award through inspection of the work performed in the field. File all documents and reports as per ISO 9001-2008 standard. Perform concrete testing.
- Attend seminars related to professional field, LIRR training courses and any other approved continuing education programs. Impart technical knowledge to peers and colleagues throughout the Engineering Department.
- Ensure a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must possess a Fundamentals of Engineering or Engineer in Training (F.E. or EIT certification OR Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience (Minimum 6 years with LIRR, engineering consultants and/or State/City Agencies).
- Recent related progressive practical and professional experience (minimum 3 years), either with engineering consultants and/or State/City Agencies.
- Must possess two years of experience in bridge inspection.
- Must possess a strong background in Civil Engineering with in-depth knowledge of engineering principles and practices.
- Must possess proficient computer skills.
- Must possess effective oral and written communication and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of the LIRR system and operations.
- NYS Professional Engineer’s License.
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) Certification.
- Supervisory experience within the LIRR Engineering department.
- Experience in railroad construction.
80%-$41.29 1st 365 Calendar Days
90%-$46.46 2nd 365 Calendar Days
100%-$51.62 After 730 Calendar Days
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to, a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.