Job ID: 3726
Business Unit: Long Island Rail Road
Location: Queens, NY, United States
Department: Asst. CO Planning&Oper Support
Date Posted: Oct 4, 2023
Title: Assistant Manager-Payroll & Operational Support
Repost Date: 09/20/2023
Close Date: 10/03/2023
Hay Point Evaluation: 611
Salary Range: $84,419 - $110,800
Position Classification: Non-Safety Sensitive
Reports To: Manager- Payroll & Operational Support
This is a Non-Represented Position.
Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.
Responsible for successful implementation and management of Biometrics review and oversight, including daily reconciliation with timecards in the Corporate Time and Attendance System (CTAMS) and resolution of discrepancies with operating disciplines. Responsible for managing, coordinating, administering, and planning of the payroll functions of the Engineering Department for both Division 1 and Division 5 payroll/employees. This position is responsible for reviewing, adjusting, and approving employees’ timecards in CTAMS. Manage the implementation of all administrative processes including grievances, leaves, and creation of new pay rules. Responsible for creating and maintaining internal departmental policy and procedural manuals to ensure consistency among the various disciplines. Ensure proper application of collective bargaining agreements (CBA), implement changes for new contractual agreements, and provide guidance to Engineering operational departments and senior management to ensure compliance with the new rules. This position directs and manages the day-to-day activities of the Resource Analysts.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:• Oversee processing of weekly Divisions 1 and 5 (CTAMS) payrolls. Review all division 1 timecards in CTAMS to ensure that hours, pay rules, and calculations are correct. Review all entry in CTAMS for division 5 employees to verify attendance/pay is correct. Process pay adjustments for both divisions. Direct administrative staff in department disciplines on application of union rules, CTAMS functions, and related departmental procedures. Process, print, and verify all payroll reports and notate reports for distribution to the relative internal departments and external departments (HR, Payroll, etc.). Review and prepare all payroll adjustments and reversals. Investigate and research all discrepancies and recommend appropriate payment/adjustment. Review PAR submission spreadsheets for accuracy and submit changes through PeopleSoft.• Assist in managing the daily activities of staff with respect to payroll and administrative functions. Assist in evaluating current administrative processes within the department to ensure consistency amongst all Engineering disciplines and make recommendations to streamline processes to be more efficient. Develop and maintain an Engineering administrative and labor distribution procedural manual to develop consistent standards among the various disciplines. Identify, analyze, and recommend viable solutions to payroll system problems. Interface with the Engineering disciplines concerning the CTAMS payroll systems for Divisions 1 and 5 payrolls and establish working relationships with all disciplines. Manage the payroll staff to ensure high level of production/performance to meet department goals.• Evaluate and approve access to the system and determine the security access level for users. Liaison with Payroll & Information Technology in the maintenance of CTAMS by communicating all necessary changes that affects the weekly/annual payroll by interpreting contractual changes and requesting addition of new rules/shifts that will affect payment to all division 1 and 5 employees. Ensure all annual accruals (vacation, sick, personal days) are accurate and being charged correctly in the CTAMs system and coordinate with Human Resources to reconcile any discrepancies. Ensure accruals for (Military & FMLA) time are set-up and being charged correctly. Send weekly communication to Corporate Payroll for their final review of represented and non-represented payroll. Serve as coordinator and trainer for CTAMS.• Manage and motivate staff. Approve and coordinate all time off and direct staff under all circumstances to ensure deadlines are met. Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline of employees under supervision. Promote safe work practices and provide safe working conditions. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals.• Oversight and management of personnel changes. Ensure timely updating of PARs for wage progression, status changes, terminations and retirements. Assist in managing and tracking short-term/long-term disabled Engineering employees ensuring all required paperwork is completed in a timely manner and all status change information is accurately maintained in database/spreadsheet. Provide guidance to administration staff in department disciplines regarding LIRR policy and Engineering Department procedure on status changes.• Manage the LIRR Military Leave Policy and Family and Medical Leave (FMLA) within the Engineering Department. Ensure that employees requesting/approved for leaves under these policies meet all requirements and provide appropriate documentation. Maintain employee files and database/spreadsheet and ensure all required paperwork and information is obtained and distributed to necessary departments. Ensure that employees are properly paid for related absences. Provide guidance to administration staff in department disciplines regarding all leaves of absence. Assist in managing vacation, personal and sick leave accruals for all Engineering employees.• Oversight of daily validation of all SLA-28 forms received and input in Department spreadsheet. Spreadsheet used to verify that an SLA-28 was submitted prior to processing the No Forms Submitted (NFS) adjustment. Process the weekly NFS adjustments in CTAMS relative to designating points for the Absence Control Process• Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
• Management of Biometrics reporting, review and oversight, including daily reconciliation with timecards in the Corporate Time and Attendance System (CTAMS) and resolution of discrepancies with Operating disciplines.
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree in business administration or related field. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval.
- Must possess a minimum of 4 years related administrative/payroll experience.
- Must possess supervisory experience, preferably with a clerical/office administration staff.
- Must possess professional level administrative experience in positions with increased responsibility.
- Must possess experience developing reports utilizing Access and/or Excel.
- Must possess thorough knowledge of payroll systems (i.e., Kronos/CTAMS or related system).
- Must possess working knowledge of related corporate policies and procedures.
- Must possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills with demonstrated ability to identify problems and make sound, appropriate recommendations for solutions.
- Must be self-motivated and possess analytical and administrative skills with the ability to meet deadlines and produce accurate work.
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills with a professional level of integrity and the ability to deal with various levels of the organization.
- Must possess the ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously and establish priorities.
- Must possess a strong work ethic, demonstrated professionalism and a high degree of integrity.
- Must possess proficient computer skills with working software applications knowledge (i.e., Word, Excel, Access).
- Must be available to work extended hours and/or weekend hours to meet operational demands.
- Strong knowledge of LIRR labor agreements, and payroll/labor distribution systems.
- LIRR Engineering Department or operating department payroll experience.
- Knowledge of divisional operations and corporate policies and procedures.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety-sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.