POSTING NO.: 10317
JOB TITLE: Ironworker- Structures
DEPT/DIV: Supervisor Structures Springdale
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
DEADLINE: Open until filled
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroad in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
IRONWORKERS are responsible for cutting, fabricating and repairing steelwork on Metro-North buildings, bridges and structures
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Cut and fabricate steel members to specifications for all Track & Structures work gangs
- Fabricate and repair steelwork on all buildings, bridges, and railroad structures
- Prepare and clean steel by removing existing rust, deteriorated segments and old rivets using appropriate tools (e.g., needle gun, rivet buster, etc.)
- Paint finished steel members with brushes and/or paint guns
- Use pneumatic, electric and hand tools (e.g., rivet buster, spud wrench, needle gun, drills, impact wrenches, etc.) while performing ironwork tasks
- Work on the ground and in the air at heights of up to 60 feet on scaffolds, bridges and structures while performing ironwork tasks
- Prepare and operate oxy-acetylene torch for cutting steel plates of various thickness
- Measure steel members and other distances to ensure steel will fit desired specifications
- Connect columns, beams and girders with bolts according to blueprints and/or instruction from supervisor
- Verify vertical and horizontal alignment of structural steel members using plumb bobs, laser equipment and levels
- Hoist steel beams, girders and columns into place using cranes and/or hoisting equipment to align and fit structural steel members
- Temporarily align structural steel members in position for permanent bolting or welding into place
- Fabricate steel members (e.g., steel frames, columns, beams, etc.) according to blueprints or instruction from supervisors
- Force structural steel members into final position using turnbuckles, crowbars, jacks and other hand tools
- Cut, bend, and grind steel members using metal shears, torches, or grinders
- Fasten or secure steel members to hoist cables using chains, cables or rope
- Assemble hoisting equipment or rigging (e.g., cables, pulleys, hooks, etc.) to move heavy equipment or steel members
- Drive drift pins through holes in steel members to align holes with corresponding members
- Dismantle existing structures using torches, all-purpose saws, hammers and air tools
- Perform other work as assigned under the scope of an Ironworker
- Must have High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma and
- Vocational or apprentice training in Ironwork or Welding or
- Two years of experience performing Ironwork or Welding
- Experience performing Ironwork
KNOWLEDGES, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Familiarity with steel work; knowledge of, and ability to use Ironworker tools; skilled in operating oxy-acetylene torches and other Ironworker tools; ability to accurately measure distances; ability to multi-task; mechanical aptitude; must be safety conscious; reading comprehension ability; verbal communication skills; interpersonal skills; customer service oriented; knowledge of operating and safety rules and standards; ability to exercise independent judgment; ability to anticipate problems, evaluate situations and make recommendations; ability to work under pressure; must be able to function effectively under changing priorities
- Must possess or be willing to obtain NYC Fire Department Certificate of Fitness for oxygen and acetylene blowpipe
- Must have personal tool box with Ironworker tools
- Must possess a valid New York State Class D driver’s license or equivalent
- Must be respirator qualified or be able to become respirator qualified
Rate of Pay
The starting rate for this position is $24.98/hour (65% of the full rate). The annual wage progression scale is as follows: Year 1=65% > Year 2=70% > Year 3=75% > Year 4=80% > Year 5=90% > Year 6=100%. The 100% full rate of pay is $38.43/hour.
This salary is non-negotiable, based on the IBT Collective Bargaining Agreement.
An exception may be granted for a journeyman rate to anyone who has one of the following:
A. Has completed a four-year, bona fide ironworker apprenticeship program, OR
B. Has had four (4) years of full-time practical experience in the craft and can provide proof thereof (by means of a card or certificate)
For those approved for a journeyman rate, the wage progression scale is as follows: 80>90>100% of the full rate of pay.
MNR Health Insurance & Vacation
As a full-time employee, you are eligible for the following health and welfare benefits.
Our benefits program provides flexibility, protection, and value through:
- Health care benefits, including medical, dental, and vision plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Welfare Benefits, including basic and optional life, dependent life, basic and optional Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance
- Disability benefits
- Flexible Spending Accounts, including a Health Care Account and Dependent Care Account
- Retirement benefits, including a retirement plan, 401(k) and 457 savings plans
Applicants will establish seniority in the Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Union (IBEW), the union representing Radio Maintainers, in accordance with the current collective bargaining agreement.
Members of IBEW are subject to an initiation fee and monthly union dues.
Ability to work various hours, days, shifts and locations throughout Metro-North territory is required.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
This is a federally regulated position subject to both pre-employment and continuous random toxicological screening.
As an employee of Metro-North Railroad you may be required to complete a New York State financial disclosure statement, if you earn more than $108,638.00 or if you hold a position designated as a policy maker.
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
DETAILS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES:
- Must be able to lift and carry tools and material weighing up to 50 lbs. on a regular basis and occasionally up to 75 lbs. such as steel sections and rock drills
- Pushing and pulling ability required to operate tools and maneuver equipment
- Ability to climb scaffolding and other structures
- Ability to walk on uneven surfaces while navigating tracks, yard and bridges
- Talking and hearing ability required to communicate with coworkers and supervisors
DETAILS OF WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Works outside exposed to various weather conditions
- Works at heights up to 60 ft. on scaffolds, ladders and bridges, some of which may be above bodies of water
- Must be able to work various days, shifts and locations
HOW TO APPLY:
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS HOME page or the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
For instructions on completing the online application, go to the MTA intranet site and click on the PeopleSoft Information hyperlink. From there select the User Guides hyperlink to gain access to the "Viewing/Applying for Jobs Online" guide under the Recruiting section of the page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.
MTA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.