Description Job Information
Title: Engineer/Manager- Structures Department: Engineering Post Date: 9/18/2023Close Date: 9/29/2023Hay Point Evaluation: 805 Salary Range: $104,023- $136,530Position Classification: Safety Sensitive Location: Queens Reports To: Principal Engineer- Structures/Principal Engineer- Facilities Maintenance This is a Non-Represented Position. Please note that this position has been designated as a “Policy Maker” pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics. As such, you will be required to complete a Financial Disclosure Statement that will be provided to you by the New York State Joint Commission on Public Ethics.SUMMARY
Position assists in planning, managing, and directing all Structures-related operations for the new East Side Access territory and upkeep of all LIRR Structural Assets valuing approximately $11.1 billion by the Long Island Rail Road (LIRR), which may include design, inspection, operation, and maintenance of infrastructure and capital assets, (i.e. tunnels, bridges, retaining walls, buildings, etc.). Coordinate operational readiness activities and projects with various railroad departments and stakeholders to support the LIRR operation of passenger trains to Grand Central Terminal at the completion and acceptance of the East Side Access project. Ensure work is completed on schedule, within budget, done safely and consistent with existing LIRR policies and practices and in compliance with State, City, and Federal code/regulations. Ensure work is completed in a timely manner, while maintaining a high-level of quality, with minimal impact on train operations.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
-Manage resources to maintain and ensure LIRR Grand Central Madison (GCM) infrastructure is in a state of good repair ensuring the safety of employees and customers. Assist in developing work plans and coordinating projects with force account personnel to progress high profile initiatives such as, State of Good Repair Bridge (SGR) program and Structural Renewal projects (Large scale maintenance projects requiring project type documentation). Monitor, update and report on completion of same.
-Manage the daily operations of structural maintenance and structural projects section including planning, scheduling of labor resources flow and equipment requirements/distribution. Establish standards and procedures to eliminate/mitigate structural failures.
-Conduct field inspections: monitoring that construction is progressing on time, within budget and in compliance with standards. Manage permitting/specific inspection process.
Develop a working relationship with Local Union Representatives, enforce adherence to contracts; establish training programs. Handle all related labor issues including grievances/claims.
-Improve productivity and efficiency of structural forces. Direct and control the implementation sound policies and procedures for controlling the Projects, Maintenance, and Asset Management of the Structures Department ensuring staff training and compliance of same. Monitor and take corrective action to keep straight time and overtime hours within structures’ budget and schedules. Ensure supervisors explore all straight time options before approving the use of overtime. Ensure supervisors obtain prior approval for overtime work.
-Manage Help Desk, which is responsible to ensure appropriate supervisor is notified of all emergencies and non- emergencies calls and requests (i.e., heating/AC, B&B issues, derailments, washouts, vandalism, etc.). Supervise the upkeep of database of MW records with all help desk tickets. Ensure projects are within budget and on time with high level of quality performance/production.
-Direct the implementation and or promulgation of section-wide safety programs and initiatives.
-Assist the Principal Engineer – Structures in the establishment of policies and procedures and guidelines for the performance of the various structures department functions. Review and implement best practices from other agencies and/or departments.
-Select, develop and motivate personnel within the department. Provide career development for subordinates. Provide prompt and effective coaching and counseling. Responsible for discipline/termination of employees when necessary. Review direct reports and approve performance appraisals. Create a professional environment that respects individual differences and enables all employees to develop and contribute to their full potential.
-Promote a safe working environment and adherence to guidelines of company safety policies and procedures. Lead by example.
-Perform other assignments as requested by Senior Management.
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline. Demonstrated, directly related, equivalent experience (approximately 15 years) and education may be considered in lieu of the degree, subject to approval. Must possess ten years of progressively responsible related experience within an engineering related operations or construction department.
- Must possess progressively responsible related experience (approximately 10 years) in maintenance and/or rehabilitation of railroad structures (bridges, buildings, retaining walls, tunnels, culverts) projects or related experience within an engineering related operations department.
- Must possess progressively responsible related experience within an engineering related operations department with experience managing labor forces and/or a professional staff and management responsibility for budget and/or projects.
- Must possess construction management experience.
- Must possess experience managing labor forces and/or a professional staff.
- Must possess extensive experience with managing and developing large budgets and/or projects.
- Must possess strong negotiating, interpersonal, management and leadership skills.
- Must possess the ability to lead and influence change; must possess considerable experience and flexibility to successfully develop and motivate the organization.
- Must possess strong computer skill, including proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must possess good judgement and decision-making skills with a high degree of professional integrity and ethics.
- Must possess strong communication skills, including the ability to deliver written and oral presentation before senior management.
- Must possess knowledge of labor agreements and labor relations, company and department policies and procedures; complete understanding of department mission with requisite knowledge of budgeting, planning, scheduling and estimating and meeting goals established.
- Must possess the ability to manage and direct force account labor in aspects of construction and maintenance of LIRR’s physical plant.
- Must possess strong human relations skills.
- Must possess strong understanding of construction materials and best practices.
- Must possess knowledge of company safety policy and safe work habits.
- Must possess strong planning and scheduling experience.
- This position requires the individual to be available or on-call 24/7/365.
- Advanced degree in an Engineering, related or business discipline.
- Currently engaged in graduate studies and/or continuing education (course seminars) in areas that augment knowledge in line with duties in this position.
- NYS Engineer-in-training certificate with Professional Engineer’s license certification in progress or obtained.
In addition to meeting the minimum requirements of the position, the selection process may include, but is not limited to a pre-screening assessment (i.e., physical, written and/ or practical evaluation) and interview. Candidates forfeit further consideration in the process if they fail to participate in any step of the process when scheduled. Make up dates/times will not be given. In addition, LIRR employee applicants must be in their current position for the 12 months immediately preceding the close date of this posting and must possess a satisfactory work history, including attendance and discipline record. A record of more than ten sick days without medical documentation in two of the last three years is considered unsatisfactory attendance. Not all qualified applicants are guaranteed an interview due to the competitive selection process. A medical examination and safety sensitive drug/alcohol test may also be required.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.