Manager MofE Field Operations
Maintenance of Equipment
420 Lexington Avenue
September 29th, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Provide operational and employee support for Maintenance of Equipment employees and all associated functions, processes, and procedures at all MofE Locations.
- Manage and supervise all clerical and administrative staff and function for the Maintenance of Equipment department. Oversee and manage payroll processing and all associated documentation for Maintenance of Equipment to include auditing of all timekeeping functions.
- Coordinate and schedule all training requirements as established by company and regulatory agencies, all management and agreement employee requirements.
- Coordinate and gather statistical information to address current budget issues and develop budgetary guidelines to ensure proper accountability. Payroll expense information including statistical information on a weekly, monthly, or annual basis. Establish statistical reports to identify PFNW, absences, and vacancies. Employee availability monitoring controls vacancy levels to ensure hiring plan does not exceed budget levels.
- Position Control – implement and manage changes to budgeted positions within department (approx. 1,700 agreement and non-agreement positions). Prepare (PUR) activity to ensure meets budgeted manning levels. Coordinate requests for departmental manning changes during financial submissions. Assist in preparation and justification of position increases.
- Implementation as a liaison for major departmental projects or changes in company processes. This would include implementation of Kronos payroll system to include training and establishing departmental policies and documentation. Represent Mechanical Department during transition periods to new systems, as well as identifying impacts to department and required associated policy changes.
- Maintain compliance requirements for common functions at location relating to, workforce maintenance, DTS Processing including attendance control and DHI coordination, vacation scheduling, personnel documentation, electronic devices, automotive control, and all other personnel matters.
- Must be proactive and possess the ability to plan and organize a complex diverse Operations Department.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize workload while adhering to deadlines.
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel) with proficiency in Access with the capability of running reports, queries and database
- Knowledge of collective bargain agreements
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft or related system.
- Ability to work with confidential information.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or related field. Demonstrated equivalent experience may be considered in lieu of degree to include 4 additional years of related experience.
- Minimum three (3) years’ of increasingly responsible business-related experience to include complex administrative tasks.
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience managing a support staff and/or project/process.
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.