Assistant Director M of- E Field Operations
Maintenance of Equipment
420 Lexington Avenue
$89,892.00 - $117,983.25
September 29th, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Provide direct leadership over all administrative functions within the Maintenance of Equipment (MofE) Department. Provide direct administrative coordination between MofE Department, Operations, Human Resources and other Metro-North Departments. Ensure concise and accurate execution of employee administrative processes and functions. Coordinate special assignments as directed by the Director and Deputy Director Operational Compliance & Procedure.
- Develop long-range hiring forecast for workforce of approximately 1,700 employees. Through preparation of agreement and non-agreement employee attrition and vacancy analysis. This includes coordination with Operations Services Department for Car Appearance employee promotions.
- Direct and coordinate all matters relating to Case Management, Benefits (FMLA), RRB sickness benefits and ADA, etc. Prepare all Non-Agreement Short Term Disability correspondence and track usage. Department coordinator for all Occupational Health Services and Employee Assistance Program and related issues as well as Department Drug and Alcohol Coordinator. Coordinate with Employee Availability Specialists employees off due to illness and injury as well as Attendance Policy violations.
- Direct and manage the distribution of weekly bulletin which identifies all positions available for application by union workforce. This bulletin processing is determined by collective bargaining agreements, FRA regulations pertaining to qualifications as well as Metro-North mandated training requirements.
- Interface with Legal Department and Claims Department to assist in coordinating, research and historical data collection for counsel to prepare documentation for legal proceedings relating to Department of Labor, Federal Rail Safety Act and OHSA and other Federal and State agencies. Departmental representative at meetings, projects and other Human Resources initiatives.
- Coordinate compliance to Corporate Policies and Procedures to include; Internal Controls Annual Certifications, Safety and Injury Compliance and department contact for Audits (MTA, Legal, FRA and Inspector General).
- Direct and provide administrative guidance and support common functions at location relating to salary administration, workforce maintenance, DTS Processing including attendance control, vacation scheduling, personnel documentation, electronic devices, automotive control, and all other personnel matters.
- Departmental representative at meetings with Labor Relations regarding workforce concerns, contract interpretations and company witness at trials and hearings. Interface with Human Resources at meetings regarding policy changes, projects and support of new initiatives. Collaborate with Human Resources Personnel in Hiring Process to include interview participation and required documentation required to process for new hires.
- Must be proactive and possess the ability to plan and organize a complex diverse operations department. Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively with high level executives and customers inside and outside Metro-North Railroad.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Must be able to work in a high-profile/high-pressure environment.
- Must be able to manage complex administrative issues in a timely manner.
- Must have familiarity of collective bargaining procedures.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite computer programs and/or comparable PC applications.
- Ability to multitask with attention to detail.
- Must maintain a high degree of confidentiality and discretion.
- Ability to effectively manage a staff. • Ability to be self-motivated and to work well with a diverse work force.
- Must have the ability to be flexible and work effectively under pressure from within and outside the department.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing business environments and organizational requirements.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to train motivate and foster teamwork
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field. Demonstrated related experience, education or technical qualification may be considered in lieu of degree. Minimum seven years’ experience of progressive administrative management responsibility in an operations or transportation environment. Minimum five years supervisory experience required.
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.