Asst Deputy Director – Capital Budget & Reporting
M of W Operations Projects & Financial Management
Grand Central Terminal
$98,205.00 - 128,893.80
September 29th, 2023
Metro-North Railroad reserves the right to remove this posting prior to the Application Deadline.
MTA Metro-North Railroad is a dynamic organization, operating out of the jewel of New York City, Grand Central Terminal. We provide service to over 86.5 million customers, traveling in and out of New York and Connecticut. A subsidiary of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Metro-North Railroad is one of the busiest commuter railroads in the nation. MTA Metro-North Railroad strives to provide a safe and reliable commute, excellent customer service and rewarding opportunities to its employees.
Develop and maintain Metro-North’s Capital expenses reporting system, FTE reporting system, and budget reporting systems, providing regular and ad-hoc analyses to relevant stakeholders. Proactively improve and streamline budgeting and reporting systems while ensuring regulatory and audit compliance.
- Review, develop, implement, and maintain a reporting system to track and manage Capital expenses to ensure proper capitalization of all relevant capital and project costs in accordance with regulatory and compliance requirements, including FASB requirements. Analyze the data in the system and provide assessments of the state of the MoW capital budget to the Chief Engineer, VP-MoW and Senior VP – Operations.
- Monitor, manage and track capital FTE projections and actuals, and provide Executive Leadership Team level reporting on periodic and ad-hoc bases to proactively address gaps and deficiencies to minimize adverse operating impacts.
- Develop and implement Capital Workforce FTE Utilization and Variance Analysis and develop and implement a systematized reporting infrastructure to support analytical, planning, and review requirements by MoW management.
- Develop and oversee Budget vs Actuals capital reporting and various variance analyses for Capital expenses and FTE at the MoW overall level as well as MoW departmental levels (deep dive) and provide project and WO level reporting capabilities.
- Perform business process reengineering to include design and development of efficient internal Capital budgeting and reporting system to streamline delivery of information and data, for MoW management as well as other MNRR constituents, to the Chief Engineer, VP-MoW, Senior Vice President – Operations and the Executive Director, Management and Budget at the HQ MTA.
- Provide ad-hoc analytical support for the MoW division for Capital related inquiries.
- Expert working knowledge of Finance and Accounting, Capital Budgeting and financial systems and reporting.
- Expert management-level analytical skills for unit costing, variance analysis, cost benefit analysis and FTE utilization.
- Understanding of railroad operations and Force Account labor in a rail system.
- Expert knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access) and Hyperion Essbase/Smartview
- Direct hands-on project management experience for initiatives exceeding $ 1MM
- Working knowledge of MNR and MTA Capital Program projects, procedures, requirements, and documentation.
- Able to work in a high-profile/high-pressure environment.
- Strong ability to interact with internal/external customers.
- Excellent motivator and self-starter with strong interpersonal people skills.
- Superior problem solving and analytical skills.
- Strong oral presentation and written communications skills.
- Must possess valid driver’s license.
The following is/are preferred:
- Knowledge of various financial and reporting systems and their development and implementation.
Education and Experience:
- Masters Degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or related field of study.
- Minimum seven (7) years’ experience in increasingly responsible roles in the field of financial analysis, capital budget development, financial control and reporting, and workforce/FTE utilization in the transportation sector with at least 5 years in railroading.
- Minimum five (5) years’ experience managing a diverse group of staff and Capital/Operating Capital projects.
The following is/are preferred, but other satisfactory combinations of relevant experience, education, and/or technical credentials will be considered:
PMP certification or progress towards one.
This is a federally regulated position and is subject to toxicology testing.
Pursuant to the New York State Public Officers Law & the MTA Code of Ethics, all employees who hold a policymaking position must file an Annual Statement of Financial Disclosure (FDS) with the NYS Commission on Ethics and Lobbying in Government (the “Commission”).
Employees driving company vehicles must complete defensive driver training once every three years for current MNR drivers; or within 180 days of hire or transfer for an employee entering an authorized driving position.
Due to the competitive nature of the selection process, not all qualified candidates who meet the minimum requirements for the position are guaranteed an interview. To be selected for a position, one must meet the following criteria: (1) satisfy the minimum requirements listed in the job posting, (2) if applicable, successfully pass a written and practical exam, (3) satisfy a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), and (4) pass a verbal interview. Metro-North may also require the applicant to undergo a physical ability test, and, if the Company extends a conditional offer, may require him or her to undergo a medical examination, which may include toxicological testing. Failure to pass any step within the hiring process will result in the disqualification of your application.
Additional Criteria for Current Employees: Current Metro-North employees must be in active service to be eligible for consideration. Agreement Employees applying for a position outside of their present craft are required to have worked in your current union for at least one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline to be eligible to apply for a posted position, and have completed the agreed upon formal training commitment, including on-the-job training or lock-in requirement, if applicable (for example: Signal Trainee, Foreman-In-Training, etc.). If you are transferring to another craft, you may be required to forfeit your seniority in your present union. Non-agreement employees must have worked in your current position for a minimum of one (1) year preceding the Application Deadline. Along with a background investigation (including but not limited to, employment, education, and criminal history), employees are also subject to an internal investigation, which includes an evaluation not limited to discipline records and performance assessments.
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. If interested, please apply online at www.mta.info
Based on evaluation of education, skills, experience, and interview.
How to Apply
MTA employees must apply via My MTA Portal. You can submit an online application by logging into My MTA Portal, clicking the My Job Search ribbon, and selecting the “Careers” link. Logging in through My MTA Portal will link your BSC ID number to your job application to identify you as an internal applicant.
Equal Employment Opportunity
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE TO BE CONSIDERED. METRO-NORTH NO LONGER ACCEPTS HARD COPIES OF RESUMES.
Qualified applicants can submit an online application by clicking on the 'APPLY NOW' button from either the CAREERS page or from the JOB DESCRIPTION page.
If you have previously applied online for other positions, enter your Username and Password. If it is your first registration, click on the CLICK HERE TO REGISTER hyperlink and enter a Username and Password; then click on the REGISTER button.
When applying for positions, please ensure that you attach a resume during the application process and that you receive a confirmation e-mail that your application was accepted. If you do not receive an email confirmation, your application may not have been received and will not be able to be considered after the deadline date. If you encounter problems, please call the BSC Customer Management Center at (646) 376-0123 Monday through Friday (except MTA-HQ holidays), 8:30am - 5:00pm.
EMPLOYEES WHO DO NOT APPLY ONLINE VIA THE INTRANET MAY BE DISQUALIFIED FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION FOR THIS POSITION.
MTA and its subsidiary and affiliated agencies are Equal Opportunity Employers, including with respect to veteran status and individuals with disabilities.
The MTA encourages qualified applicants from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and abilities, including military service members, to apply.